28 September 2016

Odds and ends

Video for the day -- harsh reality:

Some of our top contemporary thinkers take on religion.  After the current immediate fight is over, after the election is won and Trump is at last rinsed out of the space he now occupies in our thoughts, the real struggle -- against the world's oldest and biggest and most dangerous scam -- will continue.

 = = = = = = = = = =

A few foreign views of the debate:

The Guardian (UK):  Don't count Trump out yet -- his bullshit has already taken him far.

The Irish TimesSeven commenters assess the candidates.

Al Jazeera:  If anything, we're underestimating the danger posed by the subculture Trump has stirred up.

= = = = = = = = = =

Personal:  Had to go back to the hospital this week to check severe swelling in one foot, to make sure it wasn't an infection or a blood clot (either would be highly dangerous in my current situation).  Luckily it was neither, and it's responding to conventional treatment.

Still feeling weak and apathetic, though there is gradual improvement.  Trying to minimize dependence on the prescription painkiller they sent me home with -- oxycodone.  It does work, but the side effects are nasty -- nothing tastes right, and strange hallucinatory ideas filled my mind, especially at night.  These seem to be fading as I use less of the stuff.

Thanks to everyone for all the encouraging comments -- I really appreciate them.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Robbins said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend. I blood clots in 2008. Lifelong warfarin user now. My leg swelled big time.

28 September, 2016 08:55  
Blogger Paul W said...

"...strange hallucinatory ideas..."

I told you to stop playing those Hawkwind albums...

28 September, 2016 09:24  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...


Hang in there. Time and patience are on your side, plus you're young and will heal faster.

I used oxycodone last summer after my surgery and chemo treatments. I hated it. I tolerated the pain because I hated what the pain killer did to me. Ibuprophen and Tylenol was better.

Thanks for the update. Be well.

28 September, 2016 10:05  
Blogger W. Hackwhacker said...

Thanks for the update! We're all looking forward to your getting back to 100%!

28 September, 2016 11:22  
Anonymous Marc McKenzie said...

Thanks for the health update, Infidel. Hang in there and take it easy. :)

28 September, 2016 12:37  
Blogger Comrade Misfit said...

Take care of yourself!

(But maybe we all ought to be on hallucinogens this election year.)

28 September, 2016 13:29  
Blogger nonnie9999 said...

Take it easy, and don't try to rush anything. Get plenty of rest and eat well. Hope you can get comfortable without the nasty Oxycodone. Hate those things! Think good thoughts, and take care of yourself.

P.S. The Irish Times article was a good read. Interesting to see what people in other countries are thinking.

29 September, 2016 01:26  
Anonymous Blurber said...

On "10 Harsh Truths About Religion," that's a really good summary of a lot of very good arguments.

29 September, 2016 08:38  
Anonymous Connie said...

I would imagine you are sick and tired of being sick and tired. It is my hope laughter enters your life to bring rest and healing.

Thinking of you

29 September, 2016 13:53  
Anonymous NickM said...

CM,
From what I've seen of the US election from England - Trump within spitting difference and all that - I suspect a lot of our chums over the other side of the Atlantic have been on mind altering substances for some time.

Connie is right. From my personal experience of sickness etc. It is just so damned boring.

30 September, 2016 02:58  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks everyone! I hope I never end up on warfarin. It really limits what else you can eat or drink.

This election itself is already more than surreal enough, but it seems that the wingnut fake media like Fox and Drudge have created the equivalent of a hallucinogenic parallel world for millions, if they can look at Trump and see a national leader.

Connie: That's about it. Between the worst of the pain and actually being well again, there's a long period when it's just a drag.

Blurber: Yes, I was really impressed with the video and with the caliber of the thinkers represented (even if a lot of Trumpanzees probably don't even know who Lawrence Krauss is).

30 September, 2016 08:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home