04 October 2019

Meditation #7 -- temptation in the sky

We once dreamed mankind someday might reach the stars;
Pure knowledge the prize to be won, so we thought.
Then came that cursed day when star-people reached us;
Invasion we feared, but seduction they brought.

They showed us their truths, horrors we'd never known;
So said we -- but lying, for know them we did.
The nightmares that writhe in the darkness of space
Are mirrored in us, in the dark of the id.

As they are, we dread that we too may become;
For what we have learned we can never unlearn.
And those who have seen it can never unsee,
And those who have gone there choose not to return.

For they welcome all, those alluring far worlds;
Ships always stand ready, and passage is free,
For dreamers who'd live out the darkness within;
Aboard the next starship -- that's where you'll find me.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

This is yours?
Don’t tell me cause then I’m gonna have to ask you on a date.
Damn. You do bring it.

XoXo

04 October, 2019 09:12  
Blogger jenny_o said...

Dark, but effective. Definitely well done.

04 October, 2019 10:24  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

Wouldn't be something if aliens came and we did see them.

04 October, 2019 10:26  
Anonymous NickM said...

Is that you infidel?

Truly you are a poet an I didn't know it!

04 October, 2019 10:36  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Planning a trip, are we?

04 October, 2019 11:14  
Blogger Nan said...

VERY cool!

04 October, 2019 12:22  
Blogger nothoughtsnoprayersnonothing said...

My favorite part is:

"Ships always stand ready, and passage is free,"
Hard to find anything free anymore.

04 October, 2019 15:53  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Sixpence: Yep, everything posted on this blog is by me unless it's clearly marked as being otherwise.

Jenny_o: Thanks! That's what I was going for.

Mary: I have a feeling real aliens would be terrifying, one way or another.

NickM: I manage.....

Debra: Depends whether I have enough frequent-flier light-years.

Nan: Thanks!

No Thoughts: A really advanced civilization would have a post-scarcity economy in which a lot of things would be free. Besides, these aliens are trying to lead us into temptation.

04 October, 2019 16:48  
Blogger dellgirl said...

Wow, this is some great poetry, I LOVE it! Well done, Infidel. This transported me straight back to the "Twilight Zone" and "The Outer Limits". You definitely have a way with words. Thank you for sharing this.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

04 October, 2019 20:23  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks! The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits are the kind of feel I was hoping to evoke, with a touch of Lovecraft too.

05 October, 2019 17:13  
Blogger dellgirl said...

Ummm Lovecraft is new to me, I've never heard of before now. I'm very glad to learn about it here, so I Googled it and I see what you mean. Thanks for introducing me to Lovecraft.

Wishing you all the best!

06 October, 2019 13:51  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Cool! Lovecraft is pretty spooky, but his books are a treat if you're into that kind of thing.

06 October, 2019 15:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home