18 August 2026

Video of the day -- our country, our rules


Perhaps Maher's best commentary ever.  Yes, there is a distinct Western civilization with a distinct culture and values.  Yes, they are better than the culture and values of other civilizations (some of which hardly even merit that title).  Yes, we need to insist that immigrants assimilate to our culture and not vice-versa.  The melting pot not the salad bowl.

8 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

It used to be this way…

18 August, 2026 05:49  
Blogger Bijoux said...

I used to not like Maher (I find him to be a bit misogynistic) but lately, he's become the voice of reason.

I always think about my grandfather, who spoke German at home, but whose immigrant parents told him to speak English at school and in public spaces. They, along with the majority of immigrants in the past, WANTED to assimilate.

18 August, 2026 06:47  
Blogger Rade said...

That was good!

I really irritates me when I see people migrating to the US from an oppressed society, settling into a community, then wanting the community to oppose things that are ingrained in our democracy because it goes against their religious beliefs that they brought with them from that oppressed country. Um. No.

18 August, 2026 07:34  
Blogger nick said...

What Rade said. Of course anyone settling in the USA or UK should adhere to the cultural norms of that country. That so many people support sharia law and its regressive norms is shocking.

18 August, 2026 09:36  
Blogger SickoRicko said...

Great points.

18 August, 2026 10:19  
Blogger Bohemian said...

This was a good commentary by Maher. I don't always agree with him, but most of the time he is spot on with things I feel passionately about too. When you relocate to any Country you comply with their National Norms, you don't insist on forcing your own upon the Host Country you're not originally from.

18 August, 2026 15:16  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Paula: No reason why it can't be again. Americans just need to stick up for their own culture, and I think people are increasingly doing that.

Bijoux: That seems to have been the case with most immigrants -- most realized, for example, that fluency in English was essential to their children's future earning power. But the Islamic religion, with its dogmatic conviction of its own superiority, adds an anti-assimilation dynamic which is really something new in our history.

Rade: It never seems to occur to them that those very beliefs are what made the countries they came from backward in the first place. Of course, those very beliefs would prevent them from considering such a thing.

Nick: It's when people want to impose Sharī'ah law and keep treating women and children the way they do in many Islamic countries, that the issue becomes less immigration and more a barbarian invasion.

Ricko: Thanks. I thought so.

18 August, 2026 15:17  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Bohemian: Indeed. If you want to live the Somalian way of life, you can just stay in Somalia instead of moving to the US.

I find Maher to be a very valuable voice. I certainly don't always agree with him, but he's willing to challenge sacred cows that others won't, and he doesn't march in mindless lockstep with the party line of either the left or the right.

18 August, 2026 15:21  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

<< Home