13 August 2026

A potpourri of popery

Time for a light-hearted look at one of the world's most powerful institutions, the Catholic Church.

If you've ever thought those outfits worn by the upper levels of the Catholic hierarchy look like something out of Star Wars, you're not alone:


A modern solution to an old problem:


A protest song from Tim Minchin (if you're sensitive about the F-word, be aware that he does use it once or twice in this video):


An investigative report from Louis CK:


Finally, this banger of a song from the band Well Hung Heart, "The Music Made Me Do It":

I have to admit I was a bit shocked by this one.  The German at the beginning is not correct.

It is, of course, very unfair to suggest that the Catholic priesthood is similar to the Epstein client list.  They're completely different.  The Catholic priesthood does boys, the Epstein clients do girls.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Shife said...

That Star Wars comparison is spot onโ€”I can't unsee the Imperial Senate vibe now! ๐Ÿ˜… And that zinger at the end comparing the client lists is brutal, but painfully accurate. Tim Minchin and Louis CK both hit the nail on the head with their commentary as well. Great collection of dark humor, Infidel!

13 August, 2026 09:06  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I don't mind poking fun (or otherwise) at religion.

13 August, 2026 10:16  
Blogger Tomichan Matheikal said...

I've often wondered why the Church doesn't permit priests to marry. It'd solve a lot of problems.

14 August, 2026 03:27  
Blogger Bohemian said...

The amount of powerful Men {and some Women to be sure} preying on Children is always shocking. When I Worked at the DA's Office it was a revelation to me that most Sex Crime Victims are not Adults, the vast majority ARE Children. And the Rich and Powerful are being protected... and Names being Redacted to protect them yet releasing Names of Victims... from being Pedophiles and suffering appropriate consequences and Prosecution. The last commenter might not realize that a lot of these Sexual Predators are often Married, so that would solve very little with the Priest thing. A lot of Clergy, in various Religions, have been Sexual deviants and becoz people Trusted them and thought them to be Holy and Men of God, they had more access to their Prey and Victims often were not Believed.

14 August, 2026 05:34  
Blogger Bijoux said...

Our local Catholic church had a huge sign out front saying something like 'Welcome Back' a few years ago. As if anyone who ever left the Catholic church would return. As a recovering Catholic, my husband laughed at it every time we passed.

14 August, 2026 07:20  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Mr Shife: Thanks! I love that "A New Pope" video, and Minchin and Louis CK are as ruthless as the topic demands. The parallels between the Catholic priesthood and the Epstein crowd always seemed obvious to me -- though the Church has been at this a lot longer.

Anvil: I believe it's vital. Their pompous self-importance and supposedly being above criticism are what allows them to get away with so many abuses.

Tomichan: I think it dates back to the eleventh century, when the Church decided to stop the clergy from having families who could inherit their property, so that the Church itself could get the property when they died. As Bohemian points out, married clergy in other sects commit abuses too, but I'm sure clerical celibacy makes things worse.

Bohemian: It makes sense that a lot of sex crime victims would be children. People who are attracted to adults have the option of consensual relationships, but sex with children is inherently abusive, so anything pedos do to satisfy their urges is abuse by definition.

No doubt joining the clergy has historically been an appealing option for sex abusers, exactly because people tended to trust them and no one would believe accusations against them. I don't think that works any more, though. People and the media no longer stay silent. The molesting priest has become practically a stereotype -- as some of these videos show.

Bijoux: According to the figures I've seen, more than six times as many people leave the Catholic Church every year as join it, so they're certainly losing people. And no, I can't imagine ever going back to it once you'd seen through it.

14 August, 2026 11:12  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

<< Home