Blogiversary
I didn't put a huge amount of thought into the name at the time. "Infidel" refers to my strong anti-religion viewpoint, while 753 refers to 753 BCE, the traditional date of the founding of Rome. It still fits well enough. The blog covers a wide range of topics, but Western civilization and opposing religion remain central to my sense of self.
It has evolved over time, of course. A lot of my early posts were just one or two sentences containing a link to something I found interesting. I started the weekly link round-ups so I would have someplace to put all the links instead of cluttering up the blog with a separate post for each one.
The blog probably won't last another twenty years, since I myself probably won't. But I have no plans to stop any time soon. The blog will probably last as long as I do.


18 Comments:
Congratulations on reaching this marvelous milestone!
Rade
Happy Anniversary. It's good you sustained it and it's going on in good health.
The word 'infidel' carries rather strong negative connotations, however.
Happy Anniversary. I'm glad I stumbled on your blog a few months ago. I've clocked up just under 20 years myself. When I started blogging I thought I would be lucky to last six months. But somehow possible topics keep coming to mind.
You are one of my daily reads. Thanks for years of pleasure.
Rade: Thanks! I hope you'll do the same.
Tomichan: Thank you. I think that at least in the US and UK, "infidel" has a lot less negative connotation than it did years ago, due to the well-known Muslim habit of calling non-Muslims infidels. I occasionally see people wearing T-shirts that say "proud infidel" and suchlike. I use Infidel753 as my internet name almost everywhere, and I can remember only one time when somebody had a negative reaction.
Nick: Thanks. I figured you'd been around for a while. And yes, if one is observant there are always new things to write about.
Anon: Glad to hear it! Thanks for the kind words.
Happy Anniversary! I think I'm at 18 years now. I've stayed because of the community and where else can I make friends from around the world?
Congrats. I have blogged only a little longer. I began just on a whim but have kept it going for a long time. I don’t know the exact day that I began because I scrapped that post a long time ago. I scrapped a number of posts after the first year but haven’t done so since.
Congratulations.
Woohoo, 20 years! That’s awesome. Congrats! I have been blogging over 20 years, but I quit blogs and began new ones. I admire your perseverance!
This is awesome! It's unusual to find someone who's been blogging for that long. I didn't think about how long I'd be blogging, either. Like you, I'm glad I started and don't plan to stop.
Congrats on a long Blogaversary being celebrated. I never stuck with a hobby this long either, I began my Blog in 2009 when my then 9 Year Old Grandson told me what Blogging and Blogs were and set it up for me, he was a lil Tech Genius, I am Tech Challenged so he had to Teach me how to do it all. He knew how much I had missed Letter Writing, which went the way of the Dinosaurs, and Blogging isn't what it used to be but is still a wonderful Community of folks. I don't plan to stop... but I do hope when I leave this earthly coil one of my Kiddos enters something so my Dear Readers know what happened. There are so many Blogs that ceased to be and we don't always know what happened to the Blogger.
Congratulations! Thanks for explaining your handle, I've often wondered where it came from. I drop by every day.
Bijoux: Thanks! My motive for keeping going is similar -- an interest in getting in touch with people I have things in common with.
Anvil: Thanks. My own first post was just a test post to make sure the system worked, and I deleted that one, but I've deleted very few since.
John: Thanks.
Paula: Thanks. I've noticed that some people have multiple blogs, but almost always there's just one that gets updated regularly. I've considered leaving Blogspot a couple of times when I thought they were turning censor-ish, but things always worked out OK.
Ami: It does become a comfortable habit, doesn't it? I know I've got things to say, and there's no other way to say them that could really replace this.
Bohemian: I've thought about that too. I might be able to get an e-mail sent to a few people I'm in regular contact with if I die -- but as a general thing, if this blog ever suddenly stops posting and there's no explanation, people should probably assume I'm dead. Even if I quit blogging, I'd announce it.
Ricko: Thanks for the daily visits. I suppose the name is a bit enigmatic, but I'm used to it -- I've got kind of a "brand" now.
And I started in 2000 AD. But you have a wider readership. Congratulations !
Personally I hope your blog lasts longer. You never know how long you will live. Heck, I never thought I would last into my 70s like I am now. Freaking amazing!
Anon: It takes time to build up a readership, that's for sure.
Leanna: I appreciate the thought. I suppose one cannot know what the future will bring.
20 years is amazing. I've been around for a long time too. I never thought I would stick with it either but I'm glad we both have, I'm glad I found your blog, you make me think sometimes about things I wouldn't normally have thoughts about. Hopefully you and your blog are around for many more years. Happy blogoversary.
Mary: Thank you. There's no higher possible compliment than saying I encourage people to think.
Post a Comment
Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:
1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service
I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.
No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.
Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.
<< Home