09 February 2020

Link round-up for 9 February 2020

Various interesting stuff I ran across on the net over the last week.  Sorry for the shorter-than-usual list -- I've been sick since Thursday.

o o o o o

Even Godzilla is vulnerable.

What if Yondu really was Mary Poppins?

Jesus does it all for you.

NASA has a quick reminder.

SNL does Frozen 2.

Remember Hilma af Klint.

Crows and ravens are cool.

"How else can they become?"

Here are some books for your dollhouse.

Check out the art of Bruce Munro.

Can you speak Texan?

"Religion is over, lads, it's fucking over."

The Republicans are the party of zombies.

I applaud the clever German and his fake traffic jam.

"You've been here awhile....."

Must-read of the week:  the American way of work is killing us.

Trump is even more powerful than Mario, because.....

Barr blathers on about "militant secularists".

Conservative ideology is tearing down our defenses against coronavirus.

The best thing about superbowl halftime shows is the way they get prigs like Dave Daubenmire all agitated like a pit bull with its nuts caught in a mousetrap.

Political cartoons here.

Everything that makes us uncomfortable must be Satanic.

Drinking a gallon of salt water mixed with rotting vegetables every day is probably not a good idea.

That wasn't a trial, just Republicans trying on a series of fig leaves.

Real masculinity doesn't bully and brag.

Banning plastic shopping bags is environmentally counterproductive.

Fundies have a cultish, us-vs-them mentality.

Conservative gays please note -- the Republicans don't want you.

Just stop believing in it.

Elections have consequences, and the fact that Kentucky's new governor is a Democrat is already bringing change for the better.

This man is no president, merely a cult leader.

The problem is not "partisanship", the problem is Republicans.

Pelosi's gesture at the SOTU has become a theme for cartoonists.

Wishful thinking keeps farmers on Trump's side.

The memory of the Holocaust must never be allowed to fade.

Why do ice ages happen?  It's complicated.

Fundies are appalled at British distaste for Franklin Graham's bigotry.

Corbyn and the British Labour party have engaged in Trump-like cozying-up to Putin.

It takes a courageous ex-patient to get doctors to stop performing bizarre experimental treatments on kids.

The governor of India's most populous state is, well, this guy.

A Chinese doctor who defied the regime and told the truth about coronavirus has become a martyr.

Lindsey Graham makes a clumsy attempt to stir up infighting among Democrats.  There will be more and more of this, and sometimes its Republican/Russian provenance won't be so obvious.  Be aware.

The enemy are solidly behind their candidate -- we must be as well.

Electoral-Vote, FiveThirtyEight, and Vox assess the Iowa app-ocalypse.

Republicans are planning to rodent-molest the South Carolina Democratic primary.

Vox makes the case for Buttigieg.

Joe Walsh will vote for the Democratic nominee no matter who it is -- and he's a Republican.  Can we do less?

This interview with James Carville isn't what a lot of people want to hear, but it's what they need to hear.

We must make Republican senators pay a price for their craven behavior.

[1,116 days down, 346 to go until the inauguration of a real President.]

16 Comments:

Blogger Leanna said...

Thanks so much for the heads up on Ed. I usually let anyone post on my blog except spammers. I read your blog most of the time when I'm able In fact The Link Round-up is my favorite because I get to add new blogs to my reading list. Thanks so much.

09 February, 2020 08:10  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

The coronavirus is just plain scary.
The fact that anyone still thinks the Earth is flat is just sad.
Crows and Ravens are cool birds. We have some kind of small black bird around here now but I don't think it's either of these.

09 February, 2020 08:34  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad to hear that bigot Franklin Graham is getting a rough ride in the UK.

09 February, 2020 09:49  
Blogger Mike said...

Going to have to come back to go over your 'short' list. I've been sick too.

09 February, 2020 12:30  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

The links were a welcome diversion from the depressive state I've been in. The Bruce Munro page was especially uplifting and gorgeous.

Thanks for the links.

Hope you're feeling better.

09 February, 2020 17:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better. Always enjoy the list. Thank you

09 February, 2020 23:11  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ha!
Your list always sends me down the rabbit hole. And Vox may be right about Mayor Pete.
The Repugs are despicable. Ugh.

XOXO

10 February, 2020 03:20  
Anonymous NickM said...

"The second misnomer is that bans decrease the amount of disposable plastic leaving the supermarket. That’s because about a quarter of carryout bags are reused, for such purposes as diaper disposal, tossing dog waste, or lining Lilliputian trash cans. "

Absolutely. I have found the ban here in the Uk a right pain in the arse because I never used single use bags once. The list of uses is staggering. When I broke a wrist I used them (with some tape) to let me shower without getting the plaster wet. When I roasted peppers I'd seal them in (after roasting) to greatly ease de-skinning. They are great (as mentioned above) for lining waste bins. The uses are legion.

My wife (who is a doll's house builder) was greatly impressed and amused by the witch's lair. My wife is currently building a 1940s wartime pubcomplete with a spiv's stash and "Dig for Victory" posters etc.

10 February, 2020 04:19  
Blogger jono said...

There is sure a lot of reading in that list. It usually takes me two days and I still go back for more.

10 February, 2020 10:54  
Anonymous nonnie9999 said...

Happy Monday, Infidel!

Thanks for the intro to Hilma al Klint. I never heard of her before, and I was a little confused, because I was thinking of Gustav Klimt when I saw the last name.

I don't know why I am so enthralled by miniatures. I love looking at them. If I was rich, I think I'd love to get a dollhouse and make all kinds of furnishings to go in it (at least, for however long my eyeballs still work).

Crows are very smart, and "The Raven" is one of my favorite poems (not that I am crazy about poetry).

Never heard of Bruce Munro before. His work is gorgeous. I'd love to see it in person.

I didn't know it before, but I'm bilingual! I think I speak Texan! Who knew?

I wonder how people saw the German fake traffic jam and are figuring out how to weaponize it. I don't mean in a violent way, but using something similar to discourage people from going somewhere by making it look way too crowded, thereby opening up an opportunity to be first on line or to get a good seat.

Until workers get more power, through unions or laws, then employers will be killing their workers.

Bill Barr is more dangerous than Twitler.

Wonder what slime like Dave Daubermire thinks about Twitler grabbing women by the pussy and bragging about it. How about First Lady Kidney Tits's nude photos? Did he ever complain about the NFL's scantily clothed cheerleaders who work for shitty wages? Selective outrage is all the hypocrites have left.

Anyone want to chip in and help me set up a Jilly Juice booth at the next Twitler rally? All kidding aside, a little 4-year-old boy is dead, because his moronic mother sought medical advice from a anti-vaxxer Facebook page, and idiots are drinking fermented cabbage to cure diseases, because some asshole on Facebook said it heals? I blame Facebook as much as I blame the people who spew this bullshit and the idiots who think faceless Facebook users are more informed than their doctors.

I suspect any Rethug looking for a fig leaf doesn't need a very big one.

I agree with the assessment of what is really manly, and that video is hilarious! Love it!

That was an interesting read about plastic bags. I think the amount of packaging of the items that go into the plastic grocery bags are probably a bigger problem than the bags themselves.

Okay, that's enough commentary from me. I'll keep reading.

Thanks for the link to The Raisin!





10 February, 2020 14:29  
Anonymous nonnie9999 said...

Feel better soon!

10 February, 2020 14:32  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Leanna: Thanks for the kind words. I always like discovering new blogs of interest. "Ed" is a persistent nuisance, unfortunately. You might find this of interest.

Mary: I'm wondering how bad coronavirus is going to get. 42,000 infections in a couple of months is pretty scary -- on the other hand, most of that has been in China, where the official response was doomed to be inept because of the authoritarian government.

Debra: There are hardly any fundies in the UK, and homosexuality is accepted enough that it was actually the Conservative party the legalized gay marriage there. He won't find much support.

Mike: Hope you feel better -- there are some nasty bugs going around.

Shaw: Glad to help.....

Anon: Thank you.

Sixpence: It's still early to tell which candidates are most viable. New Hampshire seems set for something of a shake-up.

Nick: They were just banned here in Oregon as of January. It's a pain. I've really got to ration the ones I have since I won't be able to get any more.

Jono: Yes, it's the result of a week's reading for me.....

Nonnie: I can remember being fascinated with miniature things as far back as when I read Gulliver's Travels.

Hopefully now that Trevor Noah has publicized the fake traffic jam, others will adopt the idea.

People like Daubenmire are always about appearances, not substance. Actual criminal behavior by powerful men is always forgivable, non-submissive behavior by women is not. Very handy, given the notorious behavior of fundie church leaders.

11 February, 2020 01:57  
Anonymous Gal 143 said...

I hope you're better now.

Thank you for your opposition to anti-vaxxers. I keep hearing that each year's new flu vaccine is just experimental ("Can't they settle on just one") or that giving kids the HPV vaccine is just plain weird ("they can abstain from sex"). Sometimes they bring in someone who had an adverse reaction to a vaccine to "justify" banning them. One adverse reaction should not negate what is life-saving treatment for many.

I just don't get them. If someone goes up against the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Psychological Association, the Endocrine Society, and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists -- the whole of mainstream medicine -- cherry-picking outcomes just doesn't cut it. I don't know how they justify their thinking.

What do you think about people without training who go up against the medical establishment?

15 February, 2020 13:29  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Gal: Such objections to vaccines only betray ignorance. The flu vaccines, for example, have to change each year because the flu strains evolve.

What do you think about people without training who go up against the medical establishment?

It depends on the situation. I definitely don't subscribe to the view that "the medical establishment" is always right about everything. Official positions are sometimes distorted by politics and social fads; the "fat acceptance" fad has gained some acceptance in some medical institutions, for example, despite the clear harm caused by being overweight. As in science generally, the final verdict lies with the evidence, not with the authority of any person or institution.

15 February, 2020 14:43  
Blogger Martha said...

"Jesus does it all for you." HAHA! That was funny.

Another great round. I'm late, as always, but I'm finally catching up :)

16 February, 2020 17:12  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Martha: The guy's a marketing genius.....

17 February, 2020 05:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home