07 April 2019

Link round-up for 7 April 2019

Various interesting stuff I ran across on the net over the last week.

o o o o o

People interact with statues.

Bluebird of Bitterness has some bird images and visual puns.

Bluzdude livens up office life a bit.

This thing needs a warning label.

He stole the mountaintop.

Old shark is old.

Check out these cloud pictures.

Some good advice here on writing.

Appreciate Oscar the Grouch.

Wages have stagnated for 40 years, but prices haven't.

Here's how DuckDuckGo makes money without spying on you.

Work has changed.

Which one is really offensive?

Trump denounces a judge who doesn't exist.

It's not millennials who are "killing" everything.

The latest anti-vaccine eruption brings a nuttier-than-usual wingnut out of the woodwork.

Congratulations, you made the top ten!

It is still prejudice -- and bullshit.

Some "feel-good" stories reveal a cruel reality.

This kind of bullshit is what makes the bad guys the bad guys -- don't sink to their level.

Our cities are full of monuments to ignorance.

The Republican war on women is real.

Insane laws have terrible consequences.

McDonald's surrenders in the minimum-wage fight.

Nan's Notebook has a message for Trump supporters (they won't listen).

No, legal prostitution does not cause an increase in sex trafficking.

This mentality is evil (found via Scottie).

The fruits of the anti-vax movement spread across the US.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a religious cult and doesn't work.

No, the Navy does not have invisibility or time travel.

Chronicling even three days of Trumpian outrages is a pretty big task.

If moral issues won't stop you from eating pork, maybe this will (found via Mock Paper Scissors).

I haven't paid much attention to the college-admissions scandal, but this seems like a good overview of it.

Max's Dad visits Notre Dame, and finds a Presidential candidate he likes.

As long as they have the ability to do this, I will never use e-books.

The Trump era is shaping the voters of the future.

A reputation for bigotry is bad for business.

The world has been made ridiculous.

The horrifying Valerie Plame case reminds us that some Republicans don't believe in the concept of abuse of power.

This CEO believes capitalism is committing suicide.

Booman has some interesting discussion on why Trump is bad at strategy and negotiation.

New transitional fossils shed light on whale evolution (and creationist dumbth).

Britain's Labour party takes a step to crack down on anti-Semitism.

A New Zealand blogger posts on the Christchurch mass murder.

Book-burning is forever the hallmark of the barbarian.

There is such a thing as a major difference between cultures.

Turkey's religio-authoritarian ruling party has lost elections in the country's main cities -- and doesn't want to accept the result.

The modern mind is naturally revolted by defenses of scripture.

The world's largest democracy is about to hold a national election, with women voters taking a growing role.

Please keep this important reminder.

Maybe Congress needs more waitresses and fewer crooked lawyers and businessmen.

Here's yet another difference between the two parties.

Elections have consequences, as Democrats fight back.

I don't think Biden quite gets it.  When 23% think your behavior is disqualifying and 21% aren't sure, that's actually not so good.  He may just be the wrong man for the times.

This kind of carelessness is amateurish and inexcusable.

Shower Cap reviews the week, and writes his longest post ever.

More links here.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

The statues were funny because of where the paint was worn off the most.

07 April, 2019 10:31  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I use Duckduckgo as my go-to search engine. I'm using google already with blogger, so there.
And I didn't know about McDonald's capitulation until reading you. Damn. A week of Cheeto news really obliterates everything else. His combination of stupidity and evil really makes for an overwhelming combo in every aspect.

XOXO

08 April, 2019 04:03  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Still going through some of these, just wanted to leave a couple comments while my brain is still on it (too many drugs in the past {:-)

Mahablog was a good read I thought ... because I think too, that capitalism is deteriorating, and we all know the history of past problems. Again, this is why I'm so gung- ho on Warren, I like her insight, because we are in some critical economic times too (regardless of how good they say it is now, a recession, maybe not as bad as 08, but some, is coming due) ... long story though. I like Sanders alot, alwayz did, and still do, a good amount of people like him too ... and I would vote for him at the drop of a hat. I fear, against Trump ... that they will paint Sanders as Economic Armageddon, end of the world, life in Hell and the poorhouse,a communist country, etc, etc ... the big players have alot of money and media to play with, but still, we have the power (to a majority degree, that isn't even perfect) of the vote. I feel now more than before (2016), that Trump has only gotten stronger, despite all the negative shit about him, his followers have went to extremes, even a portion of them thinking that he is a biblical Christ figure ... and there is nothing that I would love more than to get him out of the Oval Office. It will be bad enough with Warren too, because, of course, she's a commie in the line of pop-culture corporate pre- paid propaganda. Enough on that though.

"Guilty As They Come" as well as Ian Brenner, small quotes on the younger generation vs. what the older generations have and not ... cost of living vs. pay ... so true. I am constantly bringing up to younger people of the way things were, so that they know, that it DOES NOT have to be this way, and there is alwayz room for improvement. Yes, years back, we could negotiate our pay ... today, more like getting fired, and maybe some impersonal way at that ... like a f'n email. The kids have it much harder today, than I did years back as far as income, jobs. However, at the same time, I tell them, that everything was not heaven then either ... we still had the racism, classism, anti- homo, anti- sex, etc, etc.

Boing Boing on e-books ... never had an e- book, but have talked to quite a few that get them ... TRUE, it's sad ... I mean like, they should be part of your collection, money simply can't replace everything either! It's like taking my collection of writings, music, film, etc ... then telling me some crap like ... we'll compensate you with money .... frankly, what I collected over the years, I don't give a f*ck about the money. We are more focused today than ever in my life time, that money solves everything, and is the only happiness left. And no, to whoever may read this, I'm not anti- money ... it's just gotten to be so ridiculous of a cultural mindset.

Ole Joe (Biden) ... it must have been a few years back when I first seen these clips of Biden on YouTube, been awhile, but when I seen them, I was thinking to myself, if this guy ever ran for President, they will make a mountain of controversy ... today, I see it all saturated in MSM ... people are going to think he's a ped or something. I don't know about Joe's intentions or whatever, he actually could be just one of those people that are like that with others, I've known folks like that, especially old- timers and rural folks. I like Joe myself, he's not my first choice for a candidate either way (I like Warren, Sanders, and Gabbard best, in that order), but I would like him over someone like this Harris character out of California ... I don't see shit in her ... except she's black and a woman, which don't mean shit to me ... her track record is lousy to me. .... laterz Infidel

08 April, 2019 07:00  
Blogger jono said...

It is getting pretty rough out there and really ugly. The Mango Mussolini is leading the charge of desperation, but I worry that the Republicans and other right wing nut jobs will fight to the bitter end. Glad I'm old.

08 April, 2019 14:58  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Mary: You can tell what people focus on, all over the world.

Sixpence: You can always count on me to have a wide focus -- a lot of the time I just get really tired of Trump constantly being front and center.

Ranch: We need radical action in the next administration to address the country's degeneration into oligarchy over the last 40 years, that's for sure. But I think the Democratic party as a whole is becoming radicalized.

I get the impression from a lot of younger people's blogs that they're completely cynical and uninterested at the thought of participating in the hopelessly rigged economy of today. They know it's a scam and you can't win if you aren't born rich. Why bother trying?

Biden's behavior is just weird. Even decades ago I don't remember that kind of behavior being considered normal, except with people you know really well. I'll still vote for him if he's the nominee, obviously, but it's going to be a problem.

Jono: There will be some ugly scenes if Trump loses the next election, that's for sure. But I think it will be containable, and not as bad as many of us fear.

08 April, 2019 18:53  
Blogger jenny_o said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Infidel. Whenever traffic to my blog jumps, I know it's either the Russians or you've linked to it again :D I appreciate it.

I had heard of DuckDuckGo before, but no more than that. This was a helpful article.

Still working my way through the list, but enjoying many of the links. Thanks for your link roundup each week.

08 April, 2019 18:56  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Jenny_o: Glad if I'm helping. I hope I'll bring a few more poets your way.

I've been using DuckDuckGo as my main search tool for a long time now. It works fine. I recommend it.

08 April, 2019 19:43  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm late to the party this week, but better late than never!

It's funny but also predictable what parts of a statue people will rub for luck, isn't it!

LOL at the Bible Ingredient List but hey, at least it has 1% unicorns!

09 April, 2019 10:42  
Blogger Martha said...

Like Debra, I'm late to the party...but then I'm always late! HAHA I actually just visit a little at a time to go through the links thoroughly. There are just too many good things here!

Oscar the Grouch is my favourite character on Sesame Street. Always has been. I even have a couple of coffee mugs depicting him that my daughter gifted to me. He is outspoken and makes sure people understand where his boundaries are. Very cool!

This anti-vaccine stuff is really getting out of control. How did it get so bad?

09 April, 2019 18:00  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Debra: Late-comers are always welcome! I suppose it's better to grab a statue by the whatever than a human.

Martha: I still remember Oscar from when I used to watch it.

Actually more people seem to be changing their minds and vaccinating their kids now that these measles outbreaks are erupting all over the place. I don't know why the anti-vax thing got so popular. Some people are just uncomfortable with technology and have a preference for being "natural", I think.

10 April, 2019 18:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home