18 March 2019

Meditation #6 -- what should have been

More distant than the farthest stars
The stillborn world that should have been
The world in which I should have lived
That never was, so never seen.

Trapped in this dreary changeling-land
I dream the world I would have known
If mankind's rise had gone unchecked
If Alexandria's seed had grown.

Where Rome and Athens never fell
Where cross and crescent never rose
Where now those farthest stars are ours
Where truth and beauty man still knows.

But my true home I cannot reach
For things that never were lie far
Across the sea of yearning dreams
From grey and dismal things that are.

9 Comments:

Blogger jenny_o said...

Excellent - each time I read it, I like it more. I wish that world existed.

18 March, 2019 17:06  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Did you write this? It's great -- love it!

18 March, 2019 18:57  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Jenny_o: Thanks! I appreciate that. Perhaps I'll elaborate more later.....

Debra: Thank you! Yes indeed -- my "world as it should have been", my words.

18 March, 2019 19:45  
Blogger Vixen Strangely said...

I like this very much--imagining a consistent enlightenment without the endarkenment of superstitious eras. I wonder about this other universe, too.

18 March, 2019 21:22  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Nice!
My fav part may be that of .. 'where cross and crescent never rose...'. Really.

XOXO

19 March, 2019 03:43  
Blogger Nan said...

WOW! I'm impressed! Great words ... great thoughts.

19 March, 2019 11:08  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Vixen: It haunts me, to think how far we would have come by now if not for those thousand wasted years.....

Sixpence: It's beyond calculation how much pain and horror could have been avoided, if those twisted faiths and their vile and arrogant dogmas and taboos had never existed.

Nan: Thanks! That means a lot -- especially from a published author.

19 March, 2019 16:47  
Blogger Martha said...

Wow, amazing! You are a poet, too :)

20 March, 2019 18:49  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Martha: :-)

21 March, 2019 04:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home