22 January 2011

Around the blogosphere

A few new blogs I'm adding to the links list at right:

The Heathen Republican is a relatively new "secular conservative" blog aiming to put conservatism on a rational, non-religious basis. If you're one of those who thinks conservatives are always stupid or crazy, you should check him out. I seldom agree with him, but he is seriously grappling with ideas, and seems to be willing to debate commenters.

Joé McKen's Preliator pro Causa is a startlingly prolific blog which seems to put up about three to six posts per day -- substantive ones, too -- expressing the views of "a liberal skeptic, rationalist and atheist stuck in a rut in the heart of Québec". There's politics, religion, social issues, animal pictures, and SF illustration, and probably other things too -- I haven't been reading it very long. If you like my link round-ups, he has a sort of mini-version each day.

(Another blog I've long had on the list, Republic of Gilead, also has link round-ups, focusing on gay and church-state issues, and split into "news" and "commentary" sections -- and of course Mendip is basically one continuous link round-up.)

TYWKIWDBI is a true everything-but-the-kitchen-sink blog (the name stands for "Things you wouldn't know if we didn't blog intermittently), and there's probably a kitchen-sink post in the archives somewhere. Topics on the front page at the moment include birds' nests, World War I, movies, fishing, oddly-named butterflies, a chart of paid-leave laws in different countries, and a Vermeer painting.


Finally, just for fun, there's Good Show Sir, a British blog dedicated to a single topic: bad SF and fantasy book covers. Most of them are pretty bad, but the fun part is the descriptions and comments. The cover shown above, for example, is summarized thus: ".....we get a phenomenal rendering of the back of some random knight and a severely constipated dragon trying desperately to crap himself in terror at the War of the Worlds spaceship blowing the hell out of its castle with a laser that comes from nowhere."

Blogging note: This is my two-thousandth post.

13 Comments:

Blogger Ahab said...

I just swung by Good Show Sir, and those fantasy and sci-fi book covers were hilarious!

Are you familiar with World of Longmire? He pokes fun at romance novel covers.

http://www.worldoflongmire.com/features/romance_novels/

22 January, 2011 11:00  
Blogger Joé McKen said...

Hey, thanks for the plug! I found this blog through my Sitemeter stats, and now, I’ll have to check it out. =P

22 January, 2011 13:05  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Ahab: Thanks, those are funny!

Joé: I don't know how you keep up the pace -- I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

22 January, 2011 13:40  
Blogger mendip said...

Thanks for the plug and congrats on the 2,000th Post!

23 January, 2011 15:33  
Blogger Mark English said...

I don't know that I have the energy level required to be a successful blogger, but I just wanted to say that my latest post was prompted by reading some of your (Infidel753's) comments at The Heathen Republican. All the best!

23 January, 2011 21:48  
Anonymous nonnie9999 said...

congrats on 2K, infidel!

23 January, 2011 23:16  
Blogger Nance said...

I'm headed over to McKen's blog. And I'm already a big fan of Ahab's. Thanks for the bread crumb trails!

24 January, 2011 09:50  
Blogger magpie said...

I love "bad SF and fantasy book covers". I love good ones too.
Thanks.

25 January, 2011 03:14  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

25 January, 2011 04:24  
Blogger Robert the Skeptic said...

"secular conservative", isn't that an oxymoron?

26 January, 2011 11:44  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

These days, pretty much, but I'm all in favor of anyone who wants to change that.

26 January, 2011 11:55  
Blogger Eric Noren said...

"secular conservative", isn't that an oxymoron?

Please god I hope not. Oh wait...

26 January, 2011 17:02  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Heh.....

26 January, 2011 17:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home