05 December 2009

Around and about

Thick fog and the car windows iced up.....yep, it's winter again. After 49 years the regular cycle of the seasons has gone beyond monotonous to become frankly annoying. If I could design an ideal world for myself, it would have no seasons. Probably no day and night either.

For weeks now there's been some kind of construction project in the grassy vacant lot across the street. I have no idea what they're building. The question is, once that big area of grass isn't there any more, where is all the dog crap that used to go there going to go?

One of Portland's best features is its trees. Except downtown, all through the city there are countless trees which are so huge they must have been here long before Portland itself existed. We built around them. Right now they loom spookily through the fog, as if floating beyond the low roofs of the neighboring buildings.

Every so often I get a kind of mental jolt when I remember the nightmarish situation I escaped from a year and a half ago. I've gotten so used to being able to sleep normally that I've almost forgotten the months when it seemed like an unattainable dream. Don't stay in a bad situation. There is always something better.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

So in-between posts you moved?
I sleep with earplugs cuz of the husbands snoring, he says he is up most of the night and can't sleep but I tell him he IS sleeping cuz he's snoring all night!
We're in winter mode here in NJ too. Its cold and dreary and I think it's sleeting. Isn't it weird how there can be snow in DC and south but up here we just don't get the big snows anymore. Well I should say, above NJ and below NJ gets snow but we don't! Enjoy your weekend Infidel!

05 December, 2009 10:19  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Yep -- moved in June last year.

I tried earplugs at the old place, but they didn't help much. Anyway, it's not much of a life being bullied by the neighbors like that.

A ways back Ranch Chimp sent me a video of heavy snow in El Paso. The weather's been weird lately.

05 December, 2009 10:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a shame you had to move because of inconsiderate neighbors, Infidel. They are the ones who should have been kicked out.

No night and day, eh? That could be tough on your body and mind, I suspect.

05 December, 2009 11:26  
Blogger TomCat said...

Infidel, even downtown, we have lots of trees. 30 daytime degrees is not Portland weather, though.

05 December, 2009 11:27  
Blogger Leslie Parsley said...

"all through the city there are countless trees which are so huge they must have been here long before Portland itself existed. We built around them. Right now they loom spookily through the fog, as if floating beyond the low roofs of the neighboring buildings.

Sounds moody - but interesting. Wish you'd taken a photo and posted.

I hardly ever sleep - even with pills.Sue, has hubby been tested for sleep apnia?

05 December, 2009 12:25  
Blogger Karen said...

So pleased your move has produced positive results.

Daughter just moved into her first house; she put up with those awful apartment neighbors for years.

05 December, 2009 16:37  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Elizabeth: I like the time the Germans call Morgengrauen -- like twilight, but in the morning right around sunrise instead of the evening right around sunset.

Night and daylight both have their good points. I just feel put-upon being subject to an arbitrary schedule imposed by planetary rotation.

The management at the old building claimed they were trying to get those people out, but they were very resistant to giving me any information. They were also completely ineffectual. It might well have taken months more.

TomCat: I haven't noticed the really big ones downtown, but I don't go there much.

Leslie: Fog always creates interesting effects. I might try taking a picture later (there will be more foggy days, I'm sure), but it may be too dim to come out well.

Lots of people snore -- and of course don't realize it, and may have a hard time believing it if told. It's associated with overweight, and most Americans are overweight these days.

Karen: Good for your daughter. Getting away from bad neighbors should be a huge load off her mind.

06 December, 2009 01:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just feel put-upon being subject to an arbitrary schedule imposed by planetary rotation.

I sympathize, it's a major inconvenience. If only the damn system worked more according to our tastes...

Eh, it ain't easy being a biped carbon-based life form on this planet.

06 December, 2009 15:20  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

At least I'm not asking for something really impossible, like a viable third party.....

06 December, 2009 15:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home