04 April 2022

Videos of the day -- Faun

The German band Faun performs its music in the "pagan folk" and "medieval" style, with the singing always the focus.  Their work evokes the pagan spirit of old northern Europe.  I find the music and visuals wonderful.

"Tamlin" is a romantic ballad of magic and love overcoming evil.  If you don't understand German, you can get subtitles on this one by clicking the CC icon at the lower right.


"Rosenrot" is more medieval in essence, but still has a very pagan feel to it.


"Egil Saga" invokes the runes, the old Germanic alphabet used in the early Middle Ages.  The runes were believed to have magical properties, and the gist of the song is that those who mess with the magic without knowing what they're doing will come to a bad end.  This song is in some kind of Scandinavian (Icelandic or Old Norse), not German -- Faun uses several different languages for different songs.


Part of what I mean by the "pagan spirit" is the strong role of women in the storylines.  In "Tamlin", for example, it's the man who is led astray by the evil fairies, while the courageous woman defeats their magic and rescues him.

The name Faun in German, as in English, refers to the satyr-like beings from ancient Greco-Roman folklore (but is pronounced to rhyme with "town").

10 Comments:

Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Love!
The CC came really handy, cause I can only understand four letter words in German. Love the cadence, the rhythm, the melody. It does make you feel like you're in the movie Legend, for a hot second.

XOXO

04 April, 2022 06:14  
Blogger SickoRicko said...

Very neat stuff! The vocals were kind of soothing for me.

04 April, 2022 11:22  
Blogger NickM said...

Oh, fuck. Folk music... Look, it's, 2:30am here and I have been playing Les Buggeurs Risible since for about 12 hours with Win 11 so whatever but I'd like to carry this one on but just not now. But suffice to to say to say I'm feeling like a (very tired) medieval gong-farmer faced with having to master the Ravelling Nancy.

04 April, 2022 18:37  
Blogger Daal said...

these are beautiful! thanks for letting us know

04 April, 2022 21:20  
Blogger NickM said...

Right. I was at the same school as these...

https://www.unthankstour.com/

My brother even dated Rachel (the one on the left) for a bit before they became famous.

Now, don't get me wrong here, they are technically talented musicians but...

Lines (Parts One, Two & Three), a trilogy of albums about the Hull triple trawler tragedy (1968), the First World War and the poems of Emily Brontë, the principal link between them being their focusing on female perspectives across time, was released in February 2019

It's all a bit downbeat and worthy. I prefer Kylie, Bon Jovi or Sibelius. Folk just seems a bit too... Well, it's either dirges (see above) or the sort of Hey Nonny Nonnies that's alright for a night out at the Green Dragon with Sam Gamgee and the little fellas but for 2022? I mean it's all a bit shitting in a bucket, chucking it out the window and wondering why everyone is dying of typhoid isn't it?

05 April, 2022 11:04  
Anonymous Annie said...

Haunting and lovely—the voices and the instrumentation seem so united. Ah, the recorders!

05 April, 2022 12:53  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Sixpence: Glad you liked it and that the CC helped. I'm pretty used to enjoying music even if I can't understand all the words, since even in English it's often that way for me (my hearing isn't very good).

Ricko: It does have a soothing quality. Nothing like the grating rap stuff we get everywhere these days.

Daal: Glad you liked it! It's too bad they're not better known in the US.

Annie: They're strongly inspired by medieval music and instruments. It really makes them stand out from the typical generic music of today.

06 April, 2022 00:56  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

NickM: Can you please try to stay on topic? I'm not keen on comments that mostly just ramble off on barely-relevant tangents. Also, if you don't like something, you're not obligated to comment on it at all.

06 April, 2022 00:58  
Blogger NickM said...

OK, but I thought my first comment (which you didn't seem upset about) needed the explanation I'd promised. Maybe I made it too much about myself but I certainly wasn't fight-picking. OK, sorry, but... Actually I don't know what to say further. I like blogs and such as a place for banter. Obviously, we disagree on this.

Well, it's been emotional. Best wishes!

06 April, 2022 06:00  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

made me want to take off all my clothes and dance....

06 April, 2022 07:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home