04 May 2020

Video of the day -- Krigsgaldr


Song "Krigsgaldr" ("War Chant") performed by the Scandinavian-German group Heilung.  The language is proto-Norse (ancestor of modern Scandinavian languages), with a little bit of English toward the middle; the lyrics are based on a 7th-century Runic inscription found in Norway.  Note this is not a conventional music video; it's nine minutes, and its theme is the horrors of war, or more precisely the horrors of barbarian raids -- some of the imagery in the second half is gruesome and disturbing, even in this highly abstract style of animation.

Worth using fullscreen.  Thanks to Professor Taboo for suggesting I check out this band.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

This is really an excellent piece of work all across the board, and unique. I suggest full screen ... I also cranked it on a good Bose speakers/ woofer system

04 May, 2020 09:01  
Blogger Mike said...

I was surprised to see the comment about the great being at the end.

04 May, 2020 10:59  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Love the animation.
The music is ominous, but I could Not stop listening.

XoXo

04 May, 2020 13:09  
Blogger Harold said...

Been listening to Heilung for over a year now, they are a great band to run to, big drums and a fast beat. I don't understand a word, so I don't have to worry about singing along and it does kind of get the blood moving too.

04 May, 2020 16:52  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Ranch: I agree, it's very unusual. This group is quite a discovery. I'll be looking for more of their music.

Mike: I've seen that at the end of other videos of theirs. I'm not sure why.

Sixpence: There is something mesmerizing about it. I've found the same.

Hshawjr207: Interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way, maybe because this particular piece is more slow-paced.

05 May, 2020 15:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home