27 October 2019

Link round-up for 27 October 2019

Various interesting stuff I ran across on the net over the last week.

o o o o o

Cats, cats, cats!  Also Halloween cats.

Pumpkins follow the spirit of the times.

Debra She Who Seeks goes all out for Halloween.

This is not the right way to get rid of ants.

Success can take different forms.

Now this is just mean.

Here's how true artists carve pumpkins.  Samantha Bee finds a pumpkin that needs no carving (slightly NSFW).

What if JFK was like Trump?

Dave Allen contemplates Adam and Eve.

Choose eco-friendly Halloween decorations (found via Mendip).

These fine houses are tasty to see.

Plowing through Life is back with some haunting cartoons.

Denver's Botanical Gardens observe the season.

百鬼夜行 ("hundred demon night march") is Japan's answer to Halloween.

Today is National Black Cat Day.

Poor Giuliani, betrayed by his own ass.

Normal.....like a psychopath.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Here are some Halloween wallpapers for your computer.  Have some Halloween music too.

The Mist features effective depictions of two different forms of horror, one of them very real.

Don't be a Halloween meanie.

If you like Lovecraft, you may like Clark Ashton Smith as well.

There is such a thing as boringization.

"Surrender of individuality.....explains the retrograde movement of society."

Ernst and Young seems a bit confused about what century this is.

The New York Crank has some political awards.

The "mindfulness" fad is basically a scam.

Trump's name has become toxic for business.

Buying fancy showy stuff won't make you popular.

Fight back with an adversarial jacket.

I guess I'm not the only one who sees no need for a smartphone.

Rep. Katie Porter grills Mark Zuckerberg to perfection.

For some fundies, wearing pants is a huge issue.

Cartoonists have a field day with Republican venality.

The wingnuts will never stop lying about Hillary, and about everything else.

The divide between Republicans and Democrats is increasingly a religious one.

Ask the essential question about the cost of Medicare-for-all.

If somebody grabs you.....

The death of a baby triggers a wave of toxic religious behavior.

Insurance companies are ruining US healthcare.

There is no third way between sanity and madness.

Get back to work, never mind if your co-workers are dropping dead.

Darwinfish 2 has more Republican and media hypocrisy, and a tribute to Elijah Cummings.

The Trump gang is now openly weaponizing the justice system to persecute political opponents.

Here's some advice on choosing a VPN.

Scientific American has questions about the safety of 5G technology.

The administrator of NASA speaks out against the most wicked heresy of our times.

A dead whale makes a bonanza for ocean-floor critters.

Don't worry about the Yellowstone supervolcano.

Trudeau will stick around in office longer (probably) than Trump.

Google tries to squelch interest in unionization among its Swiss employees.

There's evidence that Turkey is using white phosphorus against civilians in northern Syria.  Trump has made the US complicit in ethnic cleansing.

Nusrat Jahan was burned alive for refusing to retract an attempted-rape complaint against the head of a religious school.

If you're hazy about how impeachment works, here's a flowchart.

The MSM are going into distraction mode.  Barr's "investigation" of the Russiagate investigation is another distraction, right from the rotting head of the fish.

Biden and Warren both have problems they need to address.

Know which Trumpanzees are unreachable.

When they go low, we get high.

The Senate is winnable, barely.

Refusing to vote is not "making a statement".

Remember how each party wins.

Green Eagle, Lo Imprescindible, and David E look at the Gabbard controversy.

More links here.

[1,011 days down, 451 to go until the inauguration of a real President.]

10 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love Samantha Bee's pumpkin, LOL!

27 October, 2019 06:01  
Blogger RO said...

I never tire of looking at pics of cats, who are just so adorable, and Debra always does such a cool job of finding neat stuff! Hugs, RO

27 October, 2019 06:21  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

I'm still going through these, you have alot of stuff here. But a few words, because I got to shower still, and cut out and run errands in a bit.

The Kathleen Davis piece was interesting, as far as not using smart phones. I'm like a Lone Ranger myself, and have had folks make comments to me, when seeing me using a flip- phone, several times, because it's so rare to even see them. But it actually serves my needs fine, cheap and basic too. I do have disadvantages though, because I don't have the GPS for example. One day I was out in a far suburban neighbourhood, with alot of new homes and streets that twist and winding streets, I lost my sense of direction, without GPS, I had to actually look for the sun position, to find my way out ... nonetheless, it worked, as far as me finding my way without a device to help me. So many folks today can't even work without them, especially people that do deliveries, Uber drivers or whatever. Many times, while walking around the neighbourhood or whatever, I may not even take my flip- phone with me, sometimes I'll leave it in the car, when out and about, and just go on foot without my phone into the business I'm going to or whatever. I also have a home landline, I guess those are rare too? not sure how many still have them? I mean, it worx for me, alot of people couldn't get by probably without their smart phone with them at all times. I should have it with me, in case of an emergency, I guess, but just leave it sometimes, most times I have it with me though. I was with my daughter the other day, crusing all the neighbourhoods around me, looking at all the tornado damage ... we had a tornado very close to my home a week ago. But her car or phone GPS didn't have updates on street closures and such, what a twisted maze we got caught in, just trying to get around and out, and thousands of other cars! ... so much damage and debris, without notifications on what street are closed and open.

Yeah, Bruce Gereckser piece brings back old memories, you know, fundamoralists bitching about women wearing pants, years back, folks bitched if women wore pants in a church, shows just how stupid religions really are, downright stupid! Maybe that's why they demand dresses, eh? because like, it's designed to make sure women can get sex and pregnant easily, like easy access or whatever, you know? like pro- life shit or whatever. Hey, I was talking to this guy yesterday, about 80 miles from Dallas, this guy was teling me, he's about my age, he has 16 brothers and sisters ... I was like Wow! ... that's alot man!

Michael in Norfolk piece about insurance companies and health care ... um, um, um ... ain't that the truth! I wonder if folks actually realize, that insurance companies managing our health needs, of how ridiculous it actually is? It's like these people we hire to manage our retirement portfolios, inverstor management or whatever, but worse ... bottom line, we never actually needed them ... they control legislation, to "make" us need them. Sadly, it takes up so much of our GDP. It's remarkable, when you have these debates and elections, that candidates have to be afraid of saying that Medicare For All will make taxes go up. They need to explain more to folks, that of course taxes will go up some, but the savings and what you get for your buck will outweigh it. Bottom line, an insurance company can deny you whatever they feel, and the oversight is from only stockholders, a national system is not profit driven ... too long story, but it shows just how dumb some of this stuff is. And there is this growing trend to make folks believe that taxes are evil. Rather pay my money to a peoples government, than to a bunch of hustlers looking to milk me ... that's just street sense. .... Later ....

27 October, 2019 07:48  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

G: Thanks much for your message, I appreciate it. You've posted a lot of good stuff.

27 October, 2019 16:23  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Debra: I wonder if they can breed them to grow like that.....

RO: Debra's consistently interesting, that's for sure!

Ranch: Occasionally I've traveled with people using GPS in areas I knew well, and GPS definitely doesn't always give the best routes. If I'm going to an unfamiliar area I plan it in advance. Pretty much the only reason I have a cell phone at all is in case my car breaks down. Constantly being reachable and endlessly fiddling with some gadget all the time seems like a nightmarish way of life to me.

The fundie thing about pants is weird. I think most guys find skirts or dresses sexier anyway.

On health insurance, see the Steve Pruis link too -- yes, Medicare-for-all would be expensive, but we're already paying even more for the current system, and the way things are, it will just keep getting more and more for ever and ever.

27 October, 2019 16:30  
Anonymous nonnie9999 said...

It's past 2 in the morning, and I will get through as many links as I can. Just wanted to say thanks for the link to The Raisin.

27 October, 2019 23:13  
Blogger Martha said...

HAHA! Like a psychopath :) Had a good laugh with that one.

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion, no matter how asinine :)

Love those wallpaper images. I'm going to have to download a few.

And thanks for the mention!

28 October, 2019 06:48  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

As for the Vox piece on Google Zurich trying to shut out unionization ... I been expecting to see a big growth in this coming to European countries in particular, and think it will be pushed increasingly hard and fast, and continuation in Americas. This is the whole point of making these entities to where they are so big, that they're not only monopolies, but they becoming the new governments of the globe in a neoliberal setting. You can tell this is all by design, if you look at everything of past to present over the last 4 decades. Bottom line is to dissolve all peoples government, and have "any" government left, just as a "title", but all controlled by the markets "only" ... and in America, it's almost there, already ... and we are the corporate template for the rest of the world. I have never been union, most of my working life was in Texas too, as far as being used to cutting it on my own only ... so I am used to it. But ... I think it is crucially importante immediately, from what I'm seeing, that we better start a huge increase in labour and union movements ... and not these unions that are formed from corporate think tanks, but of the actual workers only. I see this as much importante now, and even moreso, because of the new globally interconnected system, than it was in the first half of the 20th century. They especially want places like Germany too, look at how much interest German workers had in their companies, benefits, incentives, etc ... any good neoliberal wants to destroy that type of unity and mindset of the common people, and will spend an arm and a leg to do so.

I didn't even hear about the employee at Amazon that died at work of heart failure, before this link. But I've heard so much crap about Amazon warehouse problems. I guess that explains the sudden increase in prime time tele I noticed, of commercials from Amazon saying "we're hiring, join the team" (plantation "big house" is more like it). Sadly, when watching these commercials, I was getting a laugh out of them ... like most huge corporate commercials, it was insanely unbelievable ... they had workers all smiling and haging out in the warehouse (unlike the actual ratrace it is) talking about how Amazon is so good to them, they want to give their life to them kind of thing ... like "where would we be without Amazon", heh, heh, heh, heh, heh ... I know it's not funny in reality, but the commercials make you laugh, because it's so much bullshit. Put it this way ... I have never felt so loved and cared about in my 63 years of life, than I do today, with all the bullshit I',m fed on how much all these entities care about me and my "loved ones". Damn, forgot I didn't click publish, and just got back from a neighbours house ... how stupid of me

28 October, 2019 09:45  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Sooo much to go through!
Rudy, in true trumpanzee mode, made an ass of himself.
The Like a Psychopath! Lmaoooo
And I’ll make sure I’ll chose some eco friendly everything from now on!

XoXo

28 October, 2019 17:10  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Nonnie: Thanks for the post!

Martha: Glad you're back online!

Ranch: I don't think they'll ever be able to destroy Germany or France. The unions there are too powerful. And people in Switzerland know it (but Americans are woefully ignorant).

Amazon works people to death so that the already-obscenely-rich Jeff Bezos can make even more money. It's a monstrous system.

Sixpence: Giuliani is fast becoming a joke. I think that eco-friendly stuff might get smelly, though.

29 October, 2019 01:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home