02 June 2019

Link round-up for 2 June 2019

Various interesting stuff I ran across on the net over the last week.

o o o o o

This guy had a bad day.

Live theater allows for surprises.

Best door-handle ever (or worst, some might say).

This person exists.

Hey, Trump, make up your mind.

It's Christian meteorology.

Have fun out there.

And I looked, and behold, a pale horse.....

Blogger RO has a round-up of oddities, from yard sales to giraffe law.

Who are you?

Fanfic is reclaiming culture.

Debra She Who Seeks looks at snacks and art lessons.

Alien was remarkable for its realism about the world of work.

I've long thought that The Dark Crystal is rather underrated -- now Netflix is doing a prequel series.  Here's the trailer.

Lots of interesting stuff here about counterfeit money.

Here's the original Pledge of Allegiance.

Pwned, I think.

Actually, everyone should relearn this.

Hysterical Raisins looks at two debased "moderate" Republicans, Lindsey Graham and Susan Collins.

Watch out for these car-rental companies.

"There should be something in a library to offend everyone."

Don't fall for these myths about bisexuality (I really wish we'd get over treating sexuality as an identity, though).

Fundies are still stuck in the Bronze Age about gender roles.

President Pussygrabber's party seems to attract menacing weirdos.

We can do without religion.

Darwinfish 2 looks at right-wing memes and asshole drivers (but trust me, the drivers in Portland are even assholer).

The CEO of DuckDuckGo fights for internet privacy.

Facebook has weird "community standards".

Abrahamic religions have a sick obsession with virginity.

Elon Musk is a failure who excels only at claiming success.

Trump's trade wars will speed up the collapse of the US retail sector.

While other states go backward on abortion, Illinois moves forward.

The world's oldest scam is still among the most successful.

Call them Trumpcamps.

Atheist books can be an important morale-booster for those just beginning to escape from faith.

Here are a few tips for women in the states with draconian abortion laws.

Here is what the Bible calls a righteous man.

A KKK rally in Ohio draws a vast crowd of.....nine.

Bread in the US contains chemicals which most advanced countries ban as unsafe.  The situation with cosmetics is even worse.

Only Americans need to worry about this.

Britain has assholes just as bad as the Trumpanzees (the blue rosette on the man's shirt indicates he's a campaigner for the Brexit party).

British blogger Neil Bamforth argues that Britain's polarization over Brexit can be healed only by Brexit itself.

Yet another Irish referendum repudiates Catholic taboo.  And they don't want this guy around.

Jews are at risk in Germany, and being warned not to be too identifiable.

Here are seven reasons not to invade Iran.

Impeachment wouldn't remove Trump and is unpopular with voters, but Dan Pfeiffer thinks it could help the Democrats nevertheless (found via Mock Paper Scissors).  I'm skeptical, but see what you think.  Electoral-Vote also looks at the pros and cons.

The Republican party is a traitorous party.

See how far left the various Democratic candidates are.

An analysis of the victories of 2018 holds lessons for 2020.

The exposure of the fake Pelosi video shows what happens when the media actually do their job.

Roy Mo[lest]ore won't let Trump stop him from running for Senate again.

Candidate fund-raising is miserable and corrupting.

Shower Cap reviews "the Category 5 turd hurricane that is the daily news".

More links here.

14 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

That door handle (and the commentary) made me laugh! And hey man, know where I can score some good marjoram? "Death, where is thy jolly old sting?" LOL! I love that quotation about fanfiction and agree with it 100%.

And as always, thanks for the shout-out!

02 June, 2019 11:30  
Anonymous nonnie9999 said...

Hi Infidel!

Let's see. A felon not allowed to have a weapon shoots himself in the weewee. A pot-filled balloon falls out of his ass. Meth in his blood-stained jeans. Another bag of pot in his apparently roomy rectum. Tampers with a witness. Hmmm. If he was President, he'd get off (as Twitler says) Scott Free. In fact, I think we've met the 2024 Rethuglican candidate.

Those theater stories were hilarious. The Titanic one made me laugh out loud and scare the dog.

I found this interesting at the link to RO:
"According to researchers at W. Virginia University, drinking 3 mugs of tea a day helps muscles to grow by 14% in 6 weeks."
What is the size of the mug, and is the muscle growth due to running to the bathroom at least 3 extra times a day? The very next item was about a citrus juicer at Williams Sonoma from a company named Smeg. My first thought was not that the juicer costs $650, but that their advertising company probably made a point about their slogan NOT being, "I want Smeg, ma!

When I worked in a bank before the days of the counterfeit pen, we went by how the money looked and felt. One customer had just returned from South America and wanted to deposit a wad of twenties in the drive-through. The teller called me over, and we asked the customer to please come inside. There were a few thousand dollars worth of bad bills, and when I say bad, they shared serial numbers, and I think they were printed on onionskin paper. They couldn't have been more obviously counterfeit if Mickey Mouse was on them instead of Andrew Jackson. The poor customer was genuinely shocked, but there was nothing we could do but confiscate the money and contact the Secret Service.

Well, I had company and I've been avoiding the pots and pans and dishes in the sink, but I must procrastinate no longer. I'm lazy because of all the marjoram I smoked. I'll be back later for more linky goodness.

Thanks for the links over to The Raisin, Infidel! It's really appreciated.

02 June, 2019 15:36  
Blogger Paul W said...

Thank you for the link, Infidel.

02 June, 2019 18:31  
Blogger Paul W said...

About libraries and censorship, I agree in theory that libraries should defend literary works and the only question is to make sure "adult" materials remain accessible for adults (a library that shelves the Kama Sutra where kids could find it is just asking for trouble). I've worked in Florida all my life, and being home to heavily religious-conservative areas, we do have to be sensitive to community standards.

My problem is fighting the urge to weed out every Fox Not-News/Brietbart/Eagle Publishing/Regnery book off the shelves before they corrupt more people. I stop myself for the titles that are still popular, and then cry in the staff lounge afterward. I get someone directly requesting a pro-trump book, I have to take deep breaths for half-an-hour before I compose myself and fill the request. Sorry, but I still can't understand *why* people accept that swill. /headdesk

02 June, 2019 18:40  
Blogger Adam said...

I do see those swift trucks all the time.

02 June, 2019 18:43  
Blogger RO said...

Wow! Love seeing posts like these because there's lots of cool stuff. I had to click on the door door handle, and goodness did I get a unique peek that had me smiling and scratching my head simultaneously.(lol) As I kept scrolling down to find my next treat, imagine my surprise to see my name in lights, causing me to do the happy dance, and I thank you so much! Hugs...RO

03 June, 2019 02:03  
Anonymous NickM said...

Greatly amused by the truck pic! Round my end there are a huge number of trucks for a company called "Lomas Distribution". i assume they shift He or something ;-) because Taylor Swift always sounded like she could run you up a suit quick-smart. Which is a skill and a useful one and then I heard her dreadful off-key catawauling...

04 June, 2019 03:21  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

I went down the rabbit hole here, as always 🤣
The whole Pelosi video thing stayed with me, though. Are people that stupid? I guess the answer is yes.

XoXo

04 June, 2019 04:53  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Debra: The creators of popular stories should accept fanfic for what it is -- a sign of how much their work means to people. It's part of how people make mass culture truly their own.

Nonnie: That guy might well go far in the Republican party. Maybe Trump will pardon him.

If the tea thing were true, I would look like Schwarzenegger in his prime by now. Let's just say I don't.

Paul: I agree about keeping certain things away from minors, but libraries should have no limits on what's available. My own collection of books includes the Koran, Mein Kampf, and stuff that I doubt any bookstore in this country would dare carry. I'm grown up and I don't need anyone telling me this or that is too dangerous to read. Neither should the general public.

Adam: I wonder if the drivers were fans and drove like that for a while on purpose.

RO: Your round-up posts are really interesting -- inevitably I include them.

Nick: Well, as a certain great philosopher once said, "Haters gonna hate."

Sixpence: Apparently most people aren't that stupid -- the Pelosi video didn't have much impact after it was debunked. Even the right-wing sites I read have ignored it.

04 June, 2019 20:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked into the Voteview process, but couldn’t make sense of it. I did conclude that maintaining a military empire must be a “left” position. I previously examined recent votes on the NDAA (the Pentagon budget), and came up with the following.

- Sanders has consistently voted NO
- Except for 2015, Gabbard has voted NO
- Warren has voted YES twice as often as NO
- Booker has almost always voted YES
- O’Rourke, Klobuchar, and Biden (from earlier years) have always voted YES

I’ll take the anti-war candidates over the war candidates, thank you.

05 June, 2019 13:50  
Blogger Martha said...

The door handle! HAHAHA But then I saw the one about marjoram. LOL Yes, people like that do exist. That's where we get all our funny stuff from!

05 June, 2019 16:12  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Anon: It depends how far they want to cut it. Inadequate defenses tend to make wars more likely, not less, by tempting aggressors -- the Romans figured that out 2,000 years ago.

Martha: Yes, without dumb people, the world would be a safer but less funny place.

05 June, 2019 17:17  
Blogger Ronbo said...

Biden's polling lead is fake news! Gritpost.com reviewed the last two polls and found that voters under the age of 50 were not included in the polls!

When polling EXCLUDES the younger half of voters, the polling is being cooked.

07 June, 2019 05:28  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Ronbo: I hope you're joking. That's as loopy as Trump's bleating about "fake news".

07 June, 2019 17:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home