Improving words (10)
Adverse: A poetic advertisement
Bellowing: You're in debt in the amount of one clanging instrument
Brokerage: Anger at running out of money
Cobalt: A fellow resident of Estonia, Latvia, or Lithuania
Collusion: The illusion of a collision
Desire: To retract paternity
Device: To rob someone of guilty pleasures
Extent: A former shelter for campers
Formaldehyde: Dr. Jekyll's official renunciation of his alter ego
Impossible: Susceptible to being changed into bone by small demonic creatures
Kinship: A large boat whose crew are all related
Legislate: Your lower limb can't keep up with you
Migration: A limited supply of Russian fighter planes
Mistrust: Deterioration of iron caused by fog
Panorama: A Greek satyr belonging to a Hindu deity
Pervade: A sports drink marketed to sexual deviants
Repeal: To let a bell ring again
Scabbard: A storyteller who helps break a strike
Scarlet: A small wound
Stalagmite: A tiny parasitic arthropod found in German prisoner-of-war camps
Urban: The primordial prohibition
Wooden: A cozy dwelling used for soliciting marriage
[The previous "improving words" post is here.]


6 Comments:
These are great. It's funny if you think about some words how they could be used differently.
Damn man, every time I read these word improvement lists ... I can't get halfway through without laughing .... {:-)
Glad no one can see me laughing at these!
Stalagmite? It doesn't get any better than that!
These are all clever and funny.
Paradigm - discarding your ejector seat for 10 cents.
Thanks, everyone! Glad to know my efforts to improve the language are appreciated.
Post a Comment
Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:
1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service
I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.
No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.
Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.
From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.
<< Home