18 April 2019

More animals

In the last couple of months I've put up two posts of cat pictures -- and while cats are traditionally the flagship animal of the internet, it's time for some representation for some of the other animals that share this world with us.  So herewith.....

.....humanity's oldest companion, the loyal dog:
(domesticated twenty thousand years ago, long before any other animal)

.....our most powerful war machine for millennia, the mighty horse:

.....our close cousin, the intelligent and sexually-perverted orangutan:

.....the aerially proficient and excessively-large albatross:

.....the sinuous and endlessly-fascinating snake:
(bringer of freedom and enlightenment in the Garden of Eden myth, demonized and shunned ever since)

.....the weird but majestic hammer-headed shark:

.....the ubiquitous and frustratingly-hard-to-exterminate rat:

.....and its perennial trusty companion, the disease-bearing flea:

.....the tiny but industrious leaf-cutter ant:

.....the large and somewhat scary-looking eurypterid:
(yes, this is real, but don't worry, they're all dead)

.....the slow, slimy, slithering snail:

.....the horrifying Amazonian giant centipede:
(those are centimeters, not inches, but still.....)

.....the sinister buzzing tropical anopheles mosquito:
(bearer of the monarch of human-killing diseases, malaria)

.....the indwelling parasitic tapeworm:

I apologize for not making this post realistically representative; for example, the world has more than a thousand times as many beetle species as mammal species, yet I've included four mammals here and not a single beetle.  Still, I hope I've provided a sense of the wondrous variety of the animal kingdom as it extends beyond the familiar domain of felines.

And no, in case you were wondering, I don't actually like animals very much.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

OMG The eurypterid!
And I think I am neither a dog person or a cat person. I just don't feel (yet) that pull to have a pet? Maybe when I'm older? IDK.

XOXO

19 April, 2019 04:49  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I think I am neither a dog person or a cat person

Maybe you're more of a eurypterid person?

19 April, 2019 06:31  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, this was certainly an equal opportunity post!

19 April, 2019 08:57  
Blogger Nan said...

And these are just a VERY small sample of what we share this planet with. Some of which are not nearly as pleasant to look at!

Interesting pics. :-)

19 April, 2019 09:22  
Blogger Martha said...

What an amazing world we live in! So many beautiful and interesting creatures. The tapeworm did freak me out a bit :O

19 April, 2019 17:34  
Blogger W. Hackwhacker said...

You had me at the face of that dog!

20 April, 2019 08:29  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

Holy moly, that snail is big. That snake is so colorful, wow so pretty. But you probably already know my favorite animal is the rat. Cute little guy.

20 April, 2019 09:49  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Debra: Hey, I'm an eclectic guy.....

Nan: If there are any animals less pleasant to look at than that centipede, I'm not sure I want to know.

Martha: It's hard to even tell what the tapeworm is, if you don't know. I could easily have mistaken it for a piece of waste plastic or something.

Hackwhacker: He's easily the most photogenic critter in the bunch.

Mary: The snail is real -- that species is native to East Africa, but unfortunately they're highly adaptable and are now spreading everywhere. The colors on that snake are amazing. I don't think I've ever seen any other animal so rainbow-like.

20 April, 2019 12:41  
Blogger dellgirl said...

Yes, you definitely did provide a sense of the wondrous variety of the animal kingdom. Thanks for introducing these amazing animals, I had not seen or heard of many of them. They're awesome!

I have a serious "phobia"...and almost left your blog when I reached the "SNAKE". But, I got a grip on myself and told myself to scroll past him quickly. Ok, that worked.

You’ve certainly created an interesting post, I really enjoyed reading here. This is so unique and really different, such a novel idea for a post! Thank you for sharing it.



20 April, 2019 16:55  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Dellgirl: Thanks! I know a lot of people have a phobia about snakes. With me it's centipedes. But of course they're all just animals like any other animals.

21 April, 2019 07:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home