29 March 2010

Terrorist attack -- Moscow

Suicide bombers have struck the Moscow subway system during the Monday rush hour, killing at least 37 commuters and injuring at least 65. Russian intelligence has preliminary information linking the attack to jihadists from the Muslim enclaves in the northern Caucasus region, who have committed several terrorist attacks in Russia over the last few years, most notoriously the terrible Beslan school massacre of 2004.

President Medvedev stated, "The policy to suppress terrorism in our country and the fight with terrorism will be continued. We will continue the operation against terrorists without hesitation and until the end." (I suspect his remarks were rather pithier in the original Russian.) No doubt he will be as good as his word. The Russians are a saner, healthier, more rational people than we are; when attacked, they do not wring their hands and moan "why do they hate us?", but hit back, hard, until the threat is disposed of. Just ask anyone who was in eastern Germany in 1945 -- or in those northern Caucasus enclaves over the last few years.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Good Morning Mr.Infidel!

I cant believe that I havent even heard anything about this before this posting of your's (got in late, kind of overslept I reckon). But this really suck's .... although we all knew to expect more of this crap, like their not going to retire any time soon! I wanted to visit Moscow one day (when I can afford it)too. You know guy .... frankly these day's I'm too goddamn scared to even take trip's abroad because of this damn terror shit ... no shit man. I mean, I worry about my daughter who has to travel as part of her job to other countries for instance, every damn time she get's on a bloody plane! When I stayed in London year's ago .... we had IRA terror shit popping up from time to time, but mild in comparison to the shit you see now. But yes .... I actually feel somewhat safer just taking a simple vacation here in the USofA although we too are vulnerable. I cant imagine what it must be like for some who have to ride the train's daily to work in town's like Moscow, Madrid, London, etc these day's. I mean .... I would probably be peeking my head under every seat I sit on wondering if there's a bloody bomb under my ass.

Anywayz .... thanx Guy ....

29 March, 2010 08:33  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

RC: I know what you mean. Terrorist attacks in Russia are fairly rare, but when they happen, they are often big, like this one. I usually ride the subway when I'm in a foreign city, rather than rent a car and deal with unfamiliar driving rules. If I'd been in Moscow, it could easily have been me.

I think the Russians will beat this. They're tough. They wiped the floor with the Nazis, after all.

29 March, 2010 08:47  
Blogger Grung_e_Gene said...

I don't know about Rare, the official Russian response is placing blame on the Black Widows the female suicide bombers from Chechnya.

The Chechnens have been engaging in these types attacks (sometimes larger and more deadly the Moscow theatre hostage siege, the Breslan School) for a decade and there have been dozens of smaller incidents.

29 March, 2010 12:52  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

True, perhaps not so rare. Islamic terrorist attacks in Russia are under-reported in the West.

30 March, 2010 16:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home