08 January 2007

Religion in Britain

More evidence that the labels people put on themselves do not necessarily reflect what they actually believe. 63% of British people say they are "not religious" and "have no personal faith" -- and this includes "more than half of those who describe themselves as Christian."

The survey also found that 82% of the British "say they see religion as a cause of division and tension between people. Only 16% disagree."

Thus it is clearly ludicrous to describe present-day Britain as a "Christian country" (and only 17% of the British themselves agree with describing it that way). It is a secular country with various religious minorities. The same is probably true of most of the rest of Europe, both western and eastern (strongly-religious Poland being the one major exception).

Found via War of the Waves.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home