21 June 2020

Link round-up for 21 June 2020

Various interesting stuff I ran across on the net over the last week.

o o o o o

He shouldn't have bothered to take the escalator.

Speaking of escalators, this ad would have worked better on the other side.





Sniffer the dog sniffs out a few things.

Here's the password for free wi-fi.

Imagine the original Star Trek cast as women.






Check out what Dolly Parton has been up to.

Bigfoot erotica is a thing.

See some inspired cartoons.

The Republican convention will be well guarded.

Moline Skeptics dissects a modern folk tale about haunted airplanes.






Not even Bugs Bunny is safe from modern lunacy.








Fox News mistook a Monty Python joke for the actual platform of CHAZ.


Trump's big rally was a flop.  The use of music drew this response.  More on the fiasco at Mock Paper Scissors, Hackwhackers, Strangely Blogged, and Big Bad Bald Bastard.  Here's an honest poster for the rally.

Can wooden money save the economy of a small town?

God needs a tacky shirt to remind him of the United States.

Trump goes nutzoid about the Supreme Court, gets pwned.


Did Robert E Lee oppose slavery? (found via Yellowdog Granny).

See how acceptance of interracial marriage has risen in the US since 1958.

Hackwhackers has some telling quotes about Trump.

Nebraska's Republican governor threatens to cut off covid-19 aid money to counties that make masks mandatory.


There are misunderstandings about free expression.


The pandemic is making housing a little more affordable.

We're starting to find out who got most of the covid-19 aid money.

A California church defied pandemic safety rules -- and then refused to cooperate with contact tracing.

Most political violence in the US is caused by right-wing extremists, but the Trump gang doesn't want to hear it.

Rich Lowry opines that even conservatives shouldn't defend Confederate symbols.


A single Pentecostal church in eastern Oregon has infected over 230 people with covid-19.

This man was arrested for calling 911 on a group of menacing trespassers.

Read brief vignettes of horror from Alabama's lynching memorial.

Rural America is more vulnerable to covid-19 than the cities.


An evangelical senator denounces the Bostock ruling -- and accuses the Republican party of betrayal.  LifeSite author Stephen Kokx wants religio-wingnuts to form their own third party (lawd, yes! -- divide that right-wing vote so you can never win again!).

If they're "essential", treat them that way.


"Prophet" Mark Taylor believes black people are lynching themselves to make Trump look bad.

Trump could only dream of a rally like this.

Here's what it means to "recover" from covid-19.

This bridge should have been renamed a long time ago.

Trump threaded the needle on the pandemic.  Here's the real trajectory.

Bruce Gerencser looks at Christianity's martyrdom fetish.

US science education is improving little by little.

Building the great pyramid of Giza probably took a lot fewer people than you think.

One culture respects science much more than the other.  Fauci warns of the dangers of anti-science attitudes.

Foreign health experts watch aghast as the US rushes into a deadly re-opening.


A covid-19 outbreak at a meat-processing plant in Germany has infected over a thousand people.

The pandemic is hitting Latin America hard.  Brazil's cumulative cases have surpassed one million.

The case of Egyptian lesbian Sarah Hegazi shows the human harm done by a religion-dominated society.

An Islamic cleric in India's state of Uttar Pradesh has banned Muslims from using hand sanitizer because it contains alcohol (sounds like a load of uttar pradesh to me).

Militarily, India has the edge over China in the current Himalayan clash.

Hong Kong protesters now have a messaging system the regime can't censor.

Beijing enacts a massive response to its new covid-19 outbreak.

Trump grovels like a dog to China's rulers.


If Republicans lose the Senate this year, they won't get it back in 2022Details here.

Trump won't lose much evangelical support as long as he keeps hurting the right people.

More links here, plus a brief Sarah Cooper appearance.

[Not sure why the paragraph gaps are so wide.  This and the "Hard reality" post below are the first ones I wrote using the new Blogger interface.  Deleting the paragraph breaks makes the gaps too small.  If anyone who has been using the new interface knows how to fix the problem, please let me know.]

16 Comments:

Blogger Hot guys said...

Thanks for bringing my attention to that Tumblr blog, I do adore cats! ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ–ค๐Ÿ’™

21 June, 2020 05:00  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

The pigeon on the escalator is my fave, LOL!

21 June, 2020 08:00  
Blogger Rosa Rubicondior said...

Putting off using the new blogger editor for as long as possible...

21 June, 2020 10:29  
Blogger sos said...

I think you mean William Tecumseh Sherman not Grant.

21 June, 2020 11:26  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Hot: They're always a popular item.

Debra: He must have wondered what the hell was going on.

Rosa: Understandable, but I thought I'd better try to get used to it while the old one was still an option if I needed it to fix something.

Sos: Fixed. Unfortunately I don't know all of those guys by sight.

21 June, 2020 11:54  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

My daughter was showing me the original Star Trek cast as women and I thought who ever did it, did a great job. It was funny though.

21 June, 2020 11:58  
Blogger MJ said...

Infidel - condolences. So sorry. No more words.

21 June, 2020 14:03  
Blogger Pinku-Sensei said...

"If anyone who has been using the new interface knows how to fix the problem, please let me know."

I've been using the new Blogger interface for a month now and have been able to get the link breaks right, but I don't know if my method will work for you. I compose my entries in an offline editor (NoteTab Light), add in the HTML for line breaks [left pointed bracket br/ right pointed bracket] at the end of every line and again for every line in-between, then copy and paste the entry using the HTML option (the [left pointed bracket / right pointed bracket] icon above the space for the entry). That works for me.

If you're composing directly on Blogger's visual editor, then I recommend using shift-enter for the line breaks instead of just enter. Two of those gives me the right spacing. I hope these ideas help.

21 June, 2020 14:41  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Mary: It's an impressive job. Too bad no one seems to know who did it.

MJ: Thank you, but no worries. I didn't know Ian Holm personally or anything. But Alien is one of my favorite movies, so hearing about his death did strike a chord.

Pinku: Thanks for the tips. I was able to fix the line spacing in Hard reality by manually editing the HTML, after an e-mail from Tengrain pointed me in the right direction, but that's not really practical for something with as many paragraph breaks as the link round-ups have. I'll give your suggestions a try.

21 June, 2020 15:20  
Blogger MJ said...

Apologies. I misinterpreted. Thanks for all the links, BTW. As always.

21 June, 2020 15:36  
Blogger Mike said...

I could spend the next week reading all these links.

And if you want to see something messed up, when you have comments pulled up, click on 'Show Original Post'.

I tried the new blogger but quickly changed back. I'm pretty sure I read that the old blogger will continue to be available.

21 June, 2020 18:30  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ha!
As always, I just spent one hour cackling and facepalming at the same rate.
Thanks for the links!!

XOXO

22 June, 2020 04:15  
Blogger Lady M said...

Perhaps now that Donald has discovered Juneteenth, he would like to make it a national holiday.

22 June, 2020 13:47  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

MJ: Thanks.

Mike: Well, that's pretty goofy-looking. I was able to make the paragraph spacing come out OK in my new post today, and "show original post" looks OK too, but I hope Blogger fixes the problem so line spacing works like it did before.

Sixpence: I aim to please (mostly).....

Lady M: I'm not holding my breath on that one.

23 June, 2020 01:28  
Blogger dellgirl said...

Another great list of links, got some great laughs here. For once I can pick a favorite, the feathered fellow on the escalator had me cracking up! Thank you for mentioning "Sniffer Dog". I appreciate that a lot.

Wishing you all the best! Stay Safe, my friend!

25 June, 2020 21:08  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks for reading! That pigeon must have been confused as hell.

26 June, 2020 01:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home