01 December 2013

Link round-up for 1 December 2013

Samsung needs to fire the ad agency that created this ad.

Europeans and Americans have trouble with each other's geography.

Rick Santorum's foray into pious movie-making is a devout dud (found via Republic of Gilead) -- more here.

Happy Thanksgiving from Mall-Wart.

Mario Piperni has a flock of turkeys overdue for slaughter.

In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Bitcoins are the Segway of currency.

P M Carpenter pwns a phone scammer.

Interesting question -- why didn't the media want to cover this successful charity event in my home city?

Republic of Gilead concludes its marathon series on fundamentalist home-schooling with some summary observations.  But remember, some home-schoolers aren't fundies.

Why is cable TV dying?  The comments on this article tell the story better than the article itself.

Sigh.....another case of abominable behavior by a Christian parent.

Here's a look at the private subcontractor that bungled the ACA website.  The corner seems to have been turned on the the law's progress, but insurance companies are still pulling a few nasty tricks.

Reagan's son records an ad supporting atheism.

Black Friday was marked by stupid violence including a stun-gun fight.  Video compilation here.

If you need an abortion in Texas, beware of this scam.

Anti-science nutters are joining forces with each other to fight science education.  They have fake history on offer as well.

Some Indians take a different view of Thanksgiving.

It's not just working on holidays -- corporate bosses are winning their legal battle to force their religious views on employees (found via Republic of Gilead).

A student from India working in the US lists the most surprising things about our country.

Rosa Rubicondior looks at sexuality in post-Christian Britain.

Why the "outrage" about this?  Is there something wrong with being healthy?

India's rise is stymied by an old obstacle -- corruption.

The Chinese city of Binzhou has a failed shopping mall built as a replica of the USS Nimitz.

Afghanistan plans to bring back stoning to death for adultery.  Here's more on sexuality in Afghanistan.

How can you not love a science article which begins with the words "Each poo is a time capsule....."?

The Neanderthals illustrate how evolution differs from a guided or intelligently-designed process.

Do insects have consciousness, and does it matter?

3 Comments:

Blogger LadyAtheist said...

An article that begins with "each poo is a time capsule" and ends with "The world's oldest toilet - an artist's impression"

Thank you for sharing this! I would hate to have missed it

01 December, 2013 06:46  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Dinosaurs, giant poos -- it's got everything!

02 December, 2013 05:54  
Blogger Lady Freethinker said...

I don't know how advanced a bug's consciousness is, but I hate to kill them so I scoop them up and take them outside. Except spiders, which I like because they take care of peskier bugs...but I still feel bad about that.

05 December, 2013 18:16  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home