Videos of the day -- The Kinks
A personal favorite of mine is "The Village Green Preservation Society" (1968), a paean to British traditions and everyday life:
This is "Victoria" (1969), a satirical look back at the British Empire:
The band remained active long after the 1960s. This is "Come Dancing" (1982), which I remember seeing frequently on MTV back when they actually played music videos:
The Kinks were a prolific group and had many other songs besides these which became iconic in their own way. After all these years, it's music I still listen to.

17 Comments:
After all these years, it's music I still listen to.
You and me both, brother............
A live version of one of my favorites which was sung by Dave instead of Ray....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFkYoT5Gezo
I know their song "You Really Got Me". ๐๐ป
I like some covers of that one, as well! ๐
Their music is familiar to me but I really don't know much about them as a band.
Funny how their music sounds very 'today'.
I love Come Dancing, BTW.
XOXO
Clearly, you have excellent taste.
I think in my record collection I have one of theirs..can't remember..I'm old..but love them..
Ray Davies is a god...
Lola and You Really Got Me are two favorites.
So many good Kinks songs - hard to choose a favorite.
Iโm not getting your posts in my email any longer...can you fix please...๐
I have missed a few
I didn't catch the original post about the corona song, so I went back to it. It's such a shame that people don't remember the classics.
I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah
Where it bubbles all the time
Like a giant, carbonated soda
S-O-D-A, soda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdu8I1gWqk4
Sunny Afternoon is another favorite. My brother spoke at length with their drummer at a Holiday party in London a few years ago.
Taminator: Good one, thanks.
Hot: Another good one.
Debra: I don't know much about them as a band either, but the music has really stuck with me.
Sixpence: True, it doesn't seem dated at all.
Hackwhacker: Thanks :-) -- evidently so do you.
Jackie: No record collection should be without one.....
Eliza: And he actually exists!
Mike: Lola's one of mine as well.
Lady M: So true.
Mary: I (again) deleted all the e-mail addresses and re-entered them, so hopefully that will help, but I think the Blogger post-notification system just doesn't work very well.
Rancid: I've heard that parody as well. Classic.
Jono: I remember Sunny Afternoon!
Where to start? Perhaps the one song that demonstrates their
brilliance is "Shangri-La." It's like five songs in one, and
packed with social commentary. I'd rate the album "Everybody's
in Show-Biz" as their apotheosis; although they had some hits
later in the '70s and '80s, I think Ray Davies' many problems
weighed them down and they never regained their earlier excellence.
Just a small sampling of some other notable songs from their catalog
for those young-uns unfamiliar with their work:
A Well Respected Man, Top of the Pops, Apeman, 20th Century Man,
Supersonic Rocket Ship, and of course, Celluloid Heroes.
I fan of MTV, I do remember this song being played way back in the day, and enjoyed it. The name of the group is a great conversation starter too.(lol) Air Hugs, RO
I tried listening to these songs.
Now I realize why drug use was so high during the 1960s.
I couldn't stand them while sober.
Anon: They had so many great songs! It seems like there are always more.
RO: I understand some bluenose once told Ray Davies, "You are the kinks of society and you must be ironed out" -- and he got the band name from that.
Olof: Chacun ร son goรปt.
Post a Comment
Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:
1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service
I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.
No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.
Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.
From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.
<< Home