25 May 2020

Improving words (16)

Some more revised word definitions, based on what the words visibly should mean.....

Adversity:  A college that teaches advertising

Assailing:  Suffering from a disease of the posterior

Candidate:  A tryst at the chocolate store

Catching:  A bell-like sound made by felines

Contest:  The opposite of protest

Descent:  To get rid of a smell

Determine:  To scare off excavation to extract minerals from the ground

Examination:  The land of your former friends from France

Fanfare:  Food for enthusiasts

Impeccable:  Immune to attack from woodpeckers

Incapacity:  I have a whole large town inside my hat

Industrial:  A legal proceeding against a large river in Pakistan

Lapsing:  To perform a song while resting on the thighs of a sitting person

Mentally:  A count of the number of adult males

Misspelt:  The winner of a beauty pageant featuring fur clothing

Program:  In favor of a tiny metric unit of weight

Reverse:  To put a text back into poetic form

Tenant:  Nearly a dozen small insects

Tuberculosis:  The act of shoving a potato up the ass of one's Spanish sister

Weevil:  Us be real bad people

[The previous "improving words" post is here.]

15 Comments:

Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Haha
Assailing and misspelt. Love!

XoXo

25 May, 2020 13:52  
Anonymous Ole Phat Stu said...

re Program.
The gram is a metric unit of mass, not of weight.

25 May, 2020 15:12  
Blogger Mildred Ratched said...

I loved your definitions. They made me chuckle and today I needed that since I wasn't feeling up to par. Thank you!

25 May, 2020 16:41  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Sixpence: I try.....

Ole: Oh, fuck off. 99% of the time it's used to refer to weight. The dictionary defines it as "a metric unit of mass or weight".

Mildred: Always glad to help -- I think we can all use some occasional diversion these days.

25 May, 2020 16:48  
Blogger dellgirl said...

These grabbed me from the beginning with ... Adversity then Candidate being a tryst at the chocolate store. Got me to smiling right away. Thank you for the insights and the chuckles, just what I needed.

Wishing you well, my friend! Stay Safe!!

25 May, 2020 18:20  
Blogger Lady M said...

Assailing - very funny to my immature sense of humor.

25 May, 2020 19:42  
Blogger Mike said...

Contest could also be a requirement to get out of prison.

25 May, 2020 19:52  
Blogger RO said...

These are hilarious! Particularly "assailing"(lol) Air Hugs, RO

26 May, 2020 04:28  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I loved this so much..very very smart.

26 May, 2020 07:25  
Anonymous nonnie9999 said...

Now, now, don't fight over what gram means. While it can be a unit of weight or mass, program is actually an offshoot of AARP, and it promotes the interests of grandmothers. It promotes exercise for grandma (cardiogram), prepaid funeral expenses (cryptogram), Cardi B impersonator's rap music (cardiogram), streaming TV services (cablegram), streaming music (radiogram) and, of course, sweets for the sweet (candygram). They even have a daily program for abuelas (diagram).

Thank you for the mental distraction.

26 May, 2020 11:38  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Took me a minute to get "misspelt" but then my one last remaining brain cell kicked in!

26 May, 2020 19:07  
Anonymous Loretta said...

That was hysterical - & I needed it!

26 May, 2020 21:37  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Dellgirl: Glad to offer some entertainment.

Lady M: It reflects my own immature sense of humor.

Mike: Or a parole hearing.....

RO: :-)

JackieSue: I try.....

Nonnie: I'm stealing some of those, as soon as I figure out how.

Debra: I'm still waiting for someone unfamiliar with non-US spelling to tell me it's misspelt.

Loretta: Thanks! Plenty more where these came from -- this is the 16th set I've done.

27 May, 2020 00:16  
Blogger E.A. Blair said...

Catastrophe: The grand prize for la belle derierre at the cat show.

27 May, 2020 05:11  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

:-)

28 May, 2020 14:20  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home