13 September 2019

Video of the day -- the comet


Europe's Rosetta space probe and its Philae lander spent two years studying comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko.  This video is assembled from images sent back by the mission.  Yes, you're looking at the landscape of a comet.  (The flat rectangular thing at around 0:40 is one of Rosetta's solar panels.)  Well worth fullscreen.  Found via Miss Cellania.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Too cool!
Also, why is it that more people are not using Vimeo?

XoXo

13 September, 2019 11:42  
Blogger Evi Erlinda said...

Wonderful video!
The comet seems a piece un-shape rock.

13 September, 2019 13:47  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Sixpence: I wish more people did use Vimeo. It's not healthy for YouTube to have a near-monopoly. I guessmore people use YouTube because it has the biggest established audience, so it's a self-sustaining thing.

Evi: Thanks! Yes, it's so small its gravity isn't strong enough to pull it into a sphere, so it's basically just a big chunk of rock and ice.

13 September, 2019 14:46  
Blogger Victor said...

WOW!

JUST WOW!!!!!!!!

13 September, 2019 19:57  
Anonymous Renard Moreau said...

🙂 Comets are never boring.

I respect them because they are capable of wiping out an entire civilization!

14 September, 2019 02:06  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Victor: It's impressive🙂

Renard: Fortunately our space program is reaching the point where our civilization is capable of wiping out an entire comet, if that eventuality arises.

14 September, 2019 17:04  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home