27 January 2019

Link round-up for 27 January 2019

Various interesting stuff I ran across on the net over the last week.

o o o o o

These Ohioans make the most of their license plates.

Bluebird of Bitterness has some book cartoons and cold-weather cartoons.  Hackwhackers has political cartoons.

Wash the birdie.

Click here and take your pun-ishment.

It's an ancient sacred object.

Let's face it.....

Street party!

What is our true existence?

Check out these optical illusions.

If you can't get it right.....

Dogs, dogs, dogs!

It is the church's command.

You get what you pay for.

Genuine artistic talent in humans is at least 17,000 years old.

This is clearly not intelligent design.

Jono revels in winter phenomena.

Compare the larval form and the adult pest (found via Mock Paper Scissors).

Professor Taboo has a Wizard of Oz poem with some stuff I definitely don't remember from the movie.

Best true toilet story ever.

Neatorama recalls a forgotten turkey from 1957 (found via Miss Cellania).

Not everything about Fyre Festival was funny.

Cheer on these heroic rats.

Work is work.

Relish the arrest of Roger Stone.

It's touching that some still believe in the power of prayer.

You must be this dumb to be a Trumpanzee.  You must be this dumb to be a rich Trumpanzee.

The shutdown ended when "ordinary people" began to suffer.

Steven Pinker responds to critics of Enlightenment Now (my review of the book is here).

Here are some photos from this week's Women's March (found via Crooks and Liars).

Anderson Connors has some more thoughts on moving, and a couple of SF recommendations.

Wingnuts observe MLK day with outpourings of bullshit.

Religio-nutballs freak out over a juice ad.

What an idiot.

Ann Coulter finally says something true.

Hannity desperately tries to shore up the sinking morale of the wallnuts.

The Spartan Atheist looks at sexuality and religion.

Here's an important point about libertarian thinking.

Something is rotten in the state of YouTube.

Don't do this.

Learning to use an EpiPen could save a life someday.

Wingnuts demand respect while doing the opposite of earning it.

The state that started the Civil War wins a formal endorsement of discrimination (found via Scottie).

At least one Supreme Court judge ought to recuse himself on all gay-rights cases.

Pence whines hypocritically while Trump flounders against Mueller and Pelosi.

DeVos shows her true colors.

A libertarian writer attains peak asshole.

Ye are of your father the Devil, and the sins of your father ye will do.

Read overviews of the Covington Lincoln Memorial controversy by Crooks and Liars, TPM, and Vixen Strangely.  The town has rallied around the students, who are really charming (last link found via Scottie).

The media need to focus more on substance, while politicians need to be more gutsy and less boring (found via Tengrain, who has some comments of his own).

Corporations around the world prepare for global warming.

The latest result of the anti-vaccine stupidity is a serious measles outbreak just a few dozen miles from where I live.

Progressive-looking corporate ads tell us something about today's market.

Fake medicine is worse than useless.

Don't believe everything you read.

There may be a huge mystery planet out there (but Pluto will always be a planet to me).

It's been a record-busting summer in Australia.

Putin is losing support in Russia, mostly because of economic effects of his interventions in Syria and Ukraine.

There's an apartheid state in the Middle East, and US media aren't telling the truth about it.

14 years in prison for being gay -- and if you don't like it, leave the country.

Pelosi can handle Trump.  She speaks politely and carries a big stick.

The shutdown is over -- what comes next?  Republicans assess the damage.  It's gloating time.

56% of Americans support Medicare for all.

Wingnuts turn on Trump like deranged piranhas.

For 2020, there is one goal.

"Our unity is our power."  Trump may be beginning to understand.

Shower Cap reviews the week in Trumpism and Pelosi's epic win.

7 Comments:

Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Love the cosplay and yaoi licence plates! And wow, "pun-ishment" -- gotta use that in my next pun post! "The larval form and the adult pest" is exactly right. And "work is work" -- that is very true. Those tweets on the arrest of Roger Stone are hilarious!

And many thanks for the links to the Bluebird of Bitterness -- now that's MY type of blog!

27 January, 2019 08:02  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

I'm still browsing through these, but wanted to leave a couple comments before I have to run (other wise I'll forget later ...old age?, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh {:-)

I was reading that short quote as far as who is a prostitute, the sex worker, labourer or whatever. It reminds me of a lady I know ... well, she told me that her common law husband left her, because he found out that she was a prostitute a few years back, in other words, she never told him about it, which led to friction between the 2. The thing is, when she was telling me this (in a therapeutic sense, asking me my advice or I guess words of comfort?) But this lady was really ate up emotionally bad, because she was crazy about this guy, and she felt wrong or dirty or something (it was sad, indeed, I felt sorry for her) But I told her, that even her ex was a prostitute himself, in fact, most people, who function in our society where everything is based on capitalism is a "prostitute" at some time (including myself and most reading this posting)... all going after the almighty dollar, and sell themselves in some kind of service, etc. But I told her, that she shouldn't have ANY shame, and f*ck the guy that left her. She is a good looking woman, good people and good personality ... like I told my daughter as a teen when she was crying in her room over a boy in school that she wanted to be with ... "think of boys like a bus, if you miss one, you will catch another" ... but that's how our F'N semi- puritanical Murica is. The thing to do ... is break that mindset, and f*ck everybody that thinks down on your values or sexual morality or whatever, once you have no shame of things like that, you are free of persecution.

As far as this shutdown ending? Last night my daughters and their husbands took me out to a fancy place for dinner and drinx, it was my birthday, I'm 63. But they wanted to know what I thought of why the shutdown was ended when Trump was so fixed, being the hard-ass that he is (they know I follow stuff, is why they ask) I told them that (in my view) ... it was Wall Street that ended the shutdown, they could care less about common folks (many, not all). The ratings for Trump were taking a nose dive, folks like Jamie Dimon (MF should have been locked up years ago {:-) got in financial media, and other CEO's, and frankly, they were upset, Wall Street was feeling the pinch, the money was feeling uncertainty on the markets, some were predicting, including reputable economists, that it will cost billions in losses, that will take time to recover, if the shutdown continues, so there was alot of business and politics involved in this, not all that "American People" talk. They actually read Trump's tweets, even though they dislike him, because they tell me some of his tweets. But I told them that "this guy, is tweeting at 2- 3am? ... WTF is wrong with this guy? ... if I had a woman beside me in bed at 2am that looked like Melania (goddamn that woman if fine! {:-), you can bet your ass I wouldn't be tweeting! ... they laughed about it, but I was serious. My daughter said, that she don't think they sleep together, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh {:-)

28 January, 2019 07:34  
Blogger jono said...

You know things are bad for tRump when Ann Coulter turns on him. When unpaid FBI agents are more than happy to arrest Roger Stone it is a sign that the tRump machine is turning into a wind up toy. It's a good feeling! Thanks for the link to my lame, yet humble blog!

28 January, 2019 10:22  
Blogger RocketJSII said...

looks like the ancient sacred object link goes to an extinct tumblr

28 January, 2019 16:53  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Debra: I wonder if anyone at the Ohio DMV knows what "yaoi" means. Or even had enough brains to look it up.

Ranch: Yep, work is work. There's no reason why a prostitute should be considered less respectable than an accountant. It's interesting that so much social scorn is reserved for one of the few occupations where women can make more money than men.

I'm sure the Wall Street guys didn't like it when LaGuardia shut down.

There's another way of looking at the tweeting -- if you were Melania and you had a guy beside you in bed at 2:00 AM who was like Trump, you'd probably be giving thanks to God that he was more interested in playing with his cell phone.

Jono: Thanks for the post! Some wingnuts have been shocked at how many agents participated in the arrest, but I guess they had a wealth of volunteers.

Rocket: Gaaack, another victim of Tumblrgeddon, I suppose. Thanks for letting me know -- I found another link to what's basically the same item and changed it.

28 January, 2019 19:02  
Blogger Martha said...

It takes me a few days to go through these links but I always enjoy these posts! Thanks for taking the time to put these links together :)

30 January, 2019 16:53  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Glad you find it entertaining -- really, I'm just shoveling everything I happen to run across that I think is interesting. I never go looking for stuff to include, so it's not much work.

30 January, 2019 19:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home