30 April 2013

Quote for the day -- being on the wrong side

"I say all this to say that if I regret anything it is my pose of powerlessness -- my lack of faith in American democracy, my belief that the war didn't deserve my hard thinking or hard acting, my cynicism. I am not a radical. But more than anything the Iraq War taught me the folly of mocking radicalism. It seemed, back then, that every "sensible" and "serious" person you knew -- left or right -- was for the war. And they were all wrong. Never forget that they were all wrong. And never forget that the radicals with their drum circles and their wild hair were right."

Ta-Nehisi Coates


This thought occurred to me some time ago:  On any controversial issue, if you're not sure which side you should be on, check which side most of the people wearing dress shirts and ties are on.  That's the side that's wrong.  It works in at least 95% of cases.

7 Comments:

Blogger okjimm said...

//people wearing dress shirts and ties are on. //

and don't forget the clerical robes, plaid golf shorts, leisure suits, and SUV drivers

30 April, 2013 12:17  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

No argument from me about the clerical robes, at least. Plaid golf shorts? If such horrors exist, those who sport them would certainly be "in the wrong" in terms of fashion sense.

30 April, 2013 19:12  
Blogger uzza said...

That last paragraph, that's a little profound,right there.

30 April, 2013 19:50  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

A close friend and I were at a string quartet concert in Provincetown late summer, before we invaded Iraq. I remember that she and I argued with a man who was talking to some attendees just before the concert started, and how my friend and I got a bit heated with this guy who was crowing about how we'd turn Iraq to glass after we finished with the bastids.

As a matter of fact, I remember the guy was wearing plaid Bermuda shorts and a polo shirt.

My friend and I were wearing long gypsy-style skirts, blouses, sandals, and beads.

Just for the record.


01 May, 2013 09:47  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Uzza: It's an observation that's stood the test of time.

Shaw: I'm sure he at least had a tie at home. And your own outfits sound perfect -- very trustworthy.

01 May, 2013 11:56  
Blogger Tommykey said...

You made me remember this cartoon I liked some years ago and used to have on the wall in my office. I think it was Non Sequitur.

It featured two men at a bar. One of them says something along the lines of "After carefully reviewing the arguments of each side, I usually come down on the side with the hottest women."

01 May, 2013 19:05  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Tommykey: The dress-code signals for women are a bit more complicated, but if I ever see Palin and Bachmann in Gypsy skirts and beads, I'll take it as a sign that we should give them another look. Not holding my breath, though.

02 May, 2013 06:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home