01 September 2008

Honorable words from Obama

Barack Obama deserves unstinting praise for this firm statement concerning the media/blogosphere feeding frenzy around the pregnancy of Sarah Palin's daughter:

I have heard some of the news on this and so let me be as clear as possible. I have said before and I will repeat again, I think peo-ple’s families are off limits, and people’s children are especially off limits. This shouldn’t be part of our politics, it has no relevance to governor Palin’s performance as a governor or her potential performance as a vice president. And so I would strongly urge people to back off these kinds of stories. You know my mother had me when she was 18. And how family deals with issues and teenage children that shouldn’t be the topic of our politics and I hope that anybody who is supporting me understands that is off limits.

Let's hope his supporters listen and come to their senses, so that at least this one manifestation of the ugliness of this campaign season will be quelled.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

While I agree, I am tired of speaking to allegedly intelligent people who are all too willing to tell me that I am supporting a Muslim.

I say this because misinformation seems to be the order of the day.

I am off this topic for today - on my blog anyway.

It is all out of hand at this point.

01 September, 2008 16:16  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

???? Sure, it's ridiculous to say that Obama is a Muslim, but I don't see what that has to do with the point.

01 September, 2008 17:12  
Blogger Prash said...

Family is really important for American Society !

02 September, 2008 01:21  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Important to every society, I think. And most humans are naturally protective of children. When a candidate's children get attacked like this, that's the dirtiest politics of all.

02 September, 2008 07:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When a candidate's children get attacked like this, that's the dirtiest politics of all.

I totally agree, & I applaud Obama for saying people's families are off limits.

02 September, 2008 08:23  
Blogger Prash said...

Important to any society I agree. But, Americans make it a big deal about it when it comes to politics...any woman in politics says she is a mother and a good housewife...You will hardly hear this from French, German, Spanish politicians (I am not sure for British & Italian).

Funnier part is, even in countries like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Thailand etc...these woman do not talk about their families in politics (well, maybe in these culture it is so obvious and there is no need to talk about it maybe)

02 September, 2008 08:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home