03 January 2008

The Iowa caucuses

By this time tomorrow, if not considerably sooner, we'll be awash in analysis and spin concerning today's Iowa caucus results. I've already linked to what Hitchens has to say on this subject, and this is worth reading too. Whether the Iowa result today is good or bad (from your own viewpoint), it matters less than the hype suggests. This is not a primary, or anything like a primary. The turnout is small, there is no secret ballot, and arcane rules very different from what applies in a general election have great influence on the outcome. Yes, today's results will have some effect on the coming contests, and they'll give newspapers (and bloggers) something to write about, but the first actual primary is still five days away.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I participated in the Iowa caucus in 2000. Since one must belong to a political party in order to participate, I registered as a Democrat and did my part.

03 January, 2008 15:54  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Do you still live in Iowa? Since caucuses have a low turnout, your vote carries that much more weight, and at least accroding to the news coverage I've seen, independents can vote in the caucuses now, not only party members.

03 January, 2008 16:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timely post. Thanks for the links, too. We all have to be reminded sometimes to put things in perspective. :)

03 January, 2008 18:46  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks for commenting. As a Clinton supporter I'm obviously disappointed by the results, but at least things look much worse for the Republicans. I'll have a lot more about this tomorrow morning or Saturday.

03 January, 2008 19:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've lived in Virginia since 2001. My family and I will all be voting in our primary next month.

04 January, 2008 06:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home