14 July 2023

Alien season

Summer is the season which always reminds me that, in a certain sense, I do not quite belong here.

This land is mine, but it is not the land of my ancestors.  I was born here, but my parents were not.  I come from millennia of adaptation to the cool and misty forests of northern Europe.  I am used to my land, the land where I was born and have lived my life, but every summer reminds me that I was not quite made for it.

The sunlight of summer never looks right.  The dazzling migraine glare sleets down over everything like an ash-dry and uncleansing shower, washing out subtleties of color, turning shadows into blank volumes of impenetrable darkness by sheer contrast.  Even through dark glasses it is harsh and bleary, an alien light.  It is not the light my eyes were made to see with.

The heat of summer is -- endurable.  I tolerate the sweating, the need to minimize exertion, the daily ritual of opening my windows during the coolness of night and closing them when the Sun comes up.  A hundred strategies to minimize discomfort do not add up to comfort.

I exist by artifice.  Full-body clothing protects my northern-European skin from the scarring, chromosome-twisting ultraviolet fire which invisibly drenches me.  In public buildings, air conditioning fills the sealed structure with an imitation of the old continent's cooler and gentler air so that I and others like me can be comfortable.  Even cars are similarly equipped.  It is my privilege as a tool-using ape to enclose myself in small capsules of the environment I prefer, keeping at bay the environment that prevails.

There is nothing wrong with using artifacts to ward off the effects of uncomfortable surroundings.  Europe itself could not have been settled by human beings in the first place if they had not invented clothes and mastered fire.  The difference is one of degree.

This is all the more true in the hotter parts of our land.  I am reliably informed that in Texas it is impossible to find any type of residential or office space, however cheap, which does not have air conditioning.  Beneath downtown Dallas there is a complex of large air-conditioned tunnels -- well-lit and attractive and with abundant shopping -- which connects, I believe, about fifty of the central city's most important buildings.  During the summer it is possible to walk all over downtown Dallas without ever emerging into the actual heat of the surface, even momentarily.  It is like an enclosed settlement on another world.

Because Portland's summer is less harsh, we here have not gone to such lengths to insulate ourselves from it.  And so once again I prepare to live through the months of the alien season, awaiting the day when the cool and clouds return and my land once again feels like the distant land which stamped its character on my genes, even though I -- being American born -- could never call it home.

12 Comments:

Anonymous spirilis said...

Funny I never feel at home anywhere but here in the Miami Valley. Here I am fearless.

14 July, 2023 04:11  
Blogger Mary said...

I don’t really feel at home anywhere today. If I had to say, it would be in the long ago past, in my early childhood that no longer exists. I do feel an attraction to the English countryside with rolling green meadows, old stone fences, lovely wildflowers and sheep..a peaceful simple life without the strife of politics, religion and hate. But it’s just a dream, as I don’t know if England is like that anymore either.

14 July, 2023 09:20  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

I hate the summers in Las Vegas, it's just too darn hot and if I don't slather on sunscreen I burn to a crisp. But as far back as I've done any research all of my ancestors were born here in the US.

14 July, 2023 10:19  
Anonymous Annie said...

This is such an interesting concept. As so many Americans have parents or grandparents who were born elsewhere, I wonder how many share your feelings on this visceral level. To some extent, I think the degree of identification with the “Motherland” is influenced by how much the relatives evoked that life and those surroundings. But your sensibilities seem almost mystical. Very intriguing.

14 July, 2023 15:27  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Sprilis: Chacun à son goût.

Mary: England hasn't been rustic like that for more than two centuries -- it was the first place in the world to industrialize. And of course the politics and religion, and the strife and hate that often comes with them, have been around even longer (though England today is less religious, and more peaceful, than ever before). Ireland is probably more like what you describe, owing to being much less densely populated.

This post is really about physical environment (climate). But I can understand feeling an identification with a culture that doesn't exist any more. I feel an identification with a culture that never got a chance to exist at all.

Mary K: I've seen some of the temperature reports on your blog -- pretty awful. I hope it's at least dry there, as I remember that in the Middle East the extreme dryness made the heat more tolerable.

The name Kirkland is of medieval origin from northern England (where my mother was from), so you probably have some of the same ancestry. Over enough time such information can be lost, though, and of course most Americans are of quite mixed descent.

14 July, 2023 15:28  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Annie: Thanks. My parents came here in the mid-1950s, shortly before I was born, and my mother missed Britain all her life. Our home life was very British and we traveled back and forth a lot when I was a child, which is probably why I still have some of the accent despite being born here. So I'm sure I have more of that kind of influence than most Americans do, even though the last time I was in Britain was 1979. I think it's somewhat like how most American Jews feel about Israel even if they personally have never been there.

At least the climate here in the Portland area is a lot more like Britain -- cool and very rainy most of the year. But the summers are too hot and bright, especially in the last decade or so, and they just feel wrong to me.

14 July, 2023 15:37  
Blogger Lady M said...

Back in the 1970's, summer was a brilliant season. But our species lack of action on climate change has ruined all that. Even Britain swelters now. Last summer was hot, dry and sunny there.

14 July, 2023 18:59  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

The summers have definitely gotten worse here over the last ten years or so, and I know it's getting worse in Europe as well.

There has been a huge amount of action on climate change, even if the US isn't contributing much. The UK itself has, I believe, the world's three largest offshore wind farms. But it's a large-scale problem which has been building for decades, and it's going to take more time to turn things around.

14 July, 2023 21:51  
Blogger NickM said...

Infidel,
That was rather poetic of you. Almost elegiacal. Anyway, if you really want to experience the land of overcast and drizzle I live just south of Manchester and you're welcome to come sample our Reasonable Sized Portions sometime. Three things I could never get my head around in the USA was tipping, highly variable sales taxes and portion sizes. Although most of my time in the US was spent down in Good ol' Dixie and beyond. Florida is lovely in the autumn or winter...

Mary,
England was never like that and I'm writing this in a house built before George Washington was even born. I think you're thinking of Hobbiton - and that's in New Zealand anyway...

15 July, 2023 05:43  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

NickM: Thanks! Some topics inspire me.

Restaurants here do seem to give you excessive portion sizes. Generally, by the time you're stuffed, there's still enough to take home and make another meal or two out of. I would imagine that's even more true in the South.

New Zealand must be a pretty wild place for the Anglosphere, with just four million people in a country bigger than the UK, plus lately they seem to be heading back toward the Dark Ages with the attacks on science in the schools and apparent tolerance for violence against women (at the Let Women Speak rally a couple of months ago).

15 July, 2023 07:45  
Blogger Martha said...

Such a good read! I cannot tolerate extreme heat or extreme cold. I'm not sure where I ultimately belong. I also need more sunny days (without the heat), which we don't have enough of.

17 July, 2023 06:23  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Martha: Thanks! Most people can't be comfortable in extreme temperatures. I don't understand the desire to go and live in places like Arizona. Unfortunately there's more extreme weather all the time.

17 July, 2023 16:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home