21 September 2019

Quote for the day -- fashionable impotence

"You can't afford to be cynical.  Cynicism is fashionable sometimes.  You see it all over our culture, all over TV; everybody likes just putting stuff down and being cynical and being negative, and that shows somehow that you're sophisticated and you're cool.  You know what -- cynicism didn’t put a man on the moon.  Cynicism didn’t win women the right to vote.  Cynicism did not get a Civil Rights Act signed.  Cynicism has never won a war.  Cynicism has never cured a disease.  Cynicism has never started a business.  Cynicism has never fed a young mind."

President Obama, 2014

9 Comments:

Blogger nothoughtsnoprayersnonothing said...

I think I will do my best to be a questioner. Much more positive than a cynic. Questioning has gotten a lot of those things you mentioned done.

21 September, 2019 04:49  
Blogger Mary said...

Oh this is true true, but I find myself being cynical and sarcastic at times when it involves trump and religious fundamentalists.

21 September, 2019 05:51  
Blogger Bob said...

I miss him.
I miss common sense.

21 September, 2019 06:01  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, he's right and that's a great quotation!

21 September, 2019 07:28  
Blogger jono said...

Some days it is difficult to avoid cynicism, but Obama can still give us inspiration and hope in the face of the current idiocy.

21 September, 2019 08:34  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

Definition of a cynic: Someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. -- Oscar Wilde

21 September, 2019 09:05  
Blogger Lady M said...

I would leave a comment but I am afraid I would just come off as sounding cynical.

21 September, 2019 11:46  
Blogger Adam said...

Too much negativity in this world.

21 September, 2019 14:22  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I think we all miss Obama's down-to-earth sanity. And it's nauseating these days how many people think being cynical and defeatist is cool when it's just a way of trying to discourage people who are working to make things better.

22 September, 2019 02:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home