04 August 2021

Minor blogging note

After almost fifteen years of using that picture of the Beta Lyrae star system as an "avatar", I've decided to make a change.  The old image was significant to me, but for reasons not easily explainable to anyone else.  The new one is, at least, actually me, which the old one was not (sorry if anyone was misled, but no, I don't actually look like a pair of stars surrounded by a glowing-red spiral of fusing hydrogen).  It's an X-ray taken in 2009 after I suffered a concussion in a bicycle accident.  I think I was wearing some kind of neck brace, which is why it looks thick at the back.  I've never allowed any other pictures of myself to appear on the internet, but I figure this one won't be too much of a personal-security problem.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ohhh I like this!
Our avatars online are always fascinating to me. Why we choose them and how we choose them speak volumes, no? Even if it's only to ourselves.
And that accident sounded a little scary, neck brace and all...

XOXO

04 August, 2021 04:45  
Blogger SickoRicko said...

Great choice! I love the story behind it.

04 August, 2021 08:38  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

Thanks for telling us the story behind the new photo.

04 August, 2021 11:16  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch. I once had a concussion. Very bad.

Did you ever recover?

04 August, 2021 20:34  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Sixpence: Avatars are often intriguing. I don't know quite what to make of yours.....

Ricko: Thanks! I'm glad now that I kept that X-ray around.

Mary K: It's not like I'd ever forget.

Anon: Yes, fully recovered a long time ago, thanks.

05 August, 2021 04:38  
Blogger Lady M said...

Dang - I really thought you were a celestial body.

05 August, 2021 21:34  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Well, true, except for the "celestial" part.

06 August, 2021 00:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home