12 December 2013

Video of the day -- Ég á líf



Performed by Eyþór Ingi Gunnlaugsson.  The song is somewhat enigmatic even in translation, but here's a sample:

Ég á líf, ég á líf yfir erfiðleika svíf
Ég á líf, ég á líf vegna þin
Þegar móti mér blaes, yfir fjöllin há ég klíf
Ég á líf, ég á líf, ég á líf

I have life, I have life of restless drift
I have life, I have life because of you
When adversity strikes me, over mountains high I climb
I have life, I have life, I have life

I've long noticed that emotionally-resonant songs often make extensive use of the piano, while emotionally-dead genres of music avoid it.  There is something about that instrument that touches us.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Marc McKenzie said...

Very interesting video, Infidel--thanks for posting it.

And what you said about the use of the piano is spot on. The best movie composers--Herrman, Goldsmith, Williams, Kanno, and Zimmer, for example--really know how to use the instrument well.

12 December, 2013 08:41  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Marc: Thanks for the comment. I've been surprised to find on the net that some people actually dislike the song -- I guess it's not only musical genres that can be emotionally dead.

13 December, 2013 01:11  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home