25 November 2006

Prosthetics

This prosthetic foot, developed in Iceland, uses artificial intelligence to imitate the action of the natural foot in walking, running, and climbing. This patient, a basketball player before losing his left foot in an accident, even hopes to play the game again. Even the price -- a little over $20,000 -- seems modest for such a sophisticated device.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fascinating, isn't it? A friend of mine who lost his arm below the elbow in Iraq is part of a group whose goal is to bring the open source model to the prosthetics field in order to make the innovations more affordable... www.openprosthetics.org

25 November, 2006 08:01  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home