Pages

08 September 2026

Image round-up for 8 September 2026

More pictures from my collection -- to see any image at full size, right-click and open the link in a new tab.

[For the link round-up, click here.]

Hang in there -- it's coming!






Either the world's smallest skateboard or the world's largest nun (do nuns normally wear wedding rings?)



China (probably)











Brigitte Bardot (right)


Klingon warship on display at a Star Trek convention, 1976



Wrocław (formerly Breslau), Poland -- believe it or not, Wrocław is pronounced VROTS-waf


Monteriggioni Castle, Tuscany, Italy




Phobos, the larger moon of Mars, transiting in front of the planet


Canterbury, England



Ancient Greek coins depicting octopuses













15 comments:

  1. It's hard to pick a favorite, but the scooter guy made me howl. Talk about having a bad day.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the nun and the wedding ring, yes they do wear wedding rings they get one when they take their final vows to God as a bride to Christ. When I was Catholic, the idea just made me retch.
    The picture of the mass saging of NYC. The only problem it doesn't work against that sort of evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandee: He should have made sure it wasn't running before setting it upright. Rather careless.

    Leanna: Thanks for the wedding ring info. Very strange. Religion does come up with some bizarre concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I've always heard that nuns are 'married' to Christ. The octopus on the Greek coins was news to me. I thought they always depicted emperors. The Tuscany castle is fascinating. I hope your holiday weekend was a pleasant one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bijoux: Well, that's something new I've learned about nuns today.

    The Greeks didn't really have emperors until the Hellenistic period (after Alexander the Great) -- it's more the Romans who were into emperors.

    Ricko: Thanks. I always hope to entertain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The nun with the ring is particularly intriguing. What's she doing with that micro-skateboard?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the emotional baggage and thanks so much for explaining which entity was Brigitte Bardot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tomichan: I can't imagine. Maybe it's from a Barbie playset or something?

    Ami: "Emotional baggage" is the perfect caption for that picture! And yes, "(right)" was meant sarcastically -- I've seen unnecessary specifiers like that on a few pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bridget Bardot has a big pussy? Is that what you are suggesting ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in a psychiatric hospital back in 1988 and it was run by nuns. Some did wear wedding rings to symbolize their spiritual marriage to christ. Weird but it does happen.

    Sink holes are scary. I sure wouldn't be walking towards one.

    I had no idea a turtle would catch a bird like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon: Only in the most literal and feline sense.

    Mary: Nuns with wedding rings still seems very odd to me, but I'm taking everyone's word for it.

    I guess nobody told that turtle that turtles are supposed to be slow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had an apartment with a "Water View!" in St. Pete FL many years ago. The "Water View!" was a retention pond. In it, aside from water snakes, we had GIANT snapping turtles; a carapace that looked like something Barney Rubble would wear to play softball in. Every season, a mother duck would raise her clutch on the side of the pond. At the beginning of the season, it would be her and 12-14 goslings in formation across the pond. One by one, they would get picked off by the turtles. By the time they got to fledgling age, there would be no more than 2 remaining. For two years I watched this and came to the conclusion that ducks are dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great roundup! The giant nun on the tiny skateboard cracked me up (nuns do wear wedding rings as brides of Christ, though the skate park is usually optional).

    The shot of Phobos transiting Mars is stunning, and that 1976 Klingon battlecruiser model takes me right back to the golden era of low-budget sci-fi conventions. Always a fascinating visual detour—thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rade: I've never had the impressions ducks were very smart. That sounds like natural selection in action.

    Mr Shife: Thanks! Nowadays we have the opportunity to see such awesome sights from around the solar system and beyond, thanks to space probes and other technology.

    Somebody put a lot of work into that Klingon ship model. There was a lot of deep enthusiasm in fandoms back then.

    ReplyDelete

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.