Truths and inspirations for 20 July 2026
[For the link round-up, click here.]
I don't think I've gone through a day without some book-reading in years.
It's amazing that this is even an issue, but there are genuinely people out there who get shocked and baffled at the very concept of someone having opinions which conflict with their own.
I think this is a bigger factor than people want to acknowledge. Have you ever had to publicly admit you were wrong about a deeply-held belief? It's damned unpleasant. People will do almost anything rather than that.
Official inflation figures are a joke. They're calculated in ways that don't reflect price changes in the common things ordinary people regularly buy. Pointing to those official figures to "prove" the economy is good doesn't fool voters, it infuriates them. This was true under Biden and it's true under Trump.
If a man's "worst day" includes raping a child, then yes, he absolutely should be judged on that. If Walz actually said this, he's nuts.
And they never will, unless they can contrive some way of using it to make Israel look bad.
Just let them play their damn games and stop trying to make people wear things that take sides on political or social causes.







































































6 Comments:
Splendid collection this morning!
My favorite by far is "Be happy; it really annoys negative people".
I have three books sitting here; one is "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson. I am about halfway through it, but mentioned it on another blog and had some dolt decide to tell me all about how the last chapters wrap up, and I kinda cooled on it. The second is "The Woman Who Knew Everyone" by Meryl Gordon about Washington socialite Perle Mesta. I performed in Irving Berlin's "Call Me Madam", and had always been fascinated by the factual nature of the stage show. Finally, I got Max Miller's "Tasting History" cookbook. I love his YouTube channel, and much like Alice Water's cookbooks ("Chez Panisse: Fruit" is FABULOUS), a lot of contextual detail on the background into meals. Sadly, though... all three books have been sitting untouched since late Winter. I need to fix that.
I miss reading. It calms the spirit.
As you probably know already, I am a reading fiend. I probably cruise through most books too quickly and don’t retain enough information, but dang I love to read. I have some friends who never read books for pleasure, and it makes me sad for them, but to each their own. As far as childhood pleasures, I never gave up arts & crafts, stuffed animals, or fun fairs. I am a kid at heart… but one who loves to read! I also appreciate your more serious shares, especially re Israel and women’s rights.
Terrific collection covering lots of topics. I couldn't help myself, I snagged a few.
That Target receipt comparison is probably not telling the whole story. I'd love to know if the package sizes were the same on both.
The only good thing about the pedophile deportation being stopped is that the little girls in the country he was to be shipped to have one less pedophile to worry about, though that's a drop in the bucket considering how many are there, what with the "tourism" activities there.
Very funny profound and smart
Rade: Reading does calm the spirit. I know from your blog you've been rather busy with house-and-garden projects recently; once those are done with, hopefully you'll have more reading time.
Paula: That's great to have kept up the childhood interests, especially reading. Particularly in combination with writing, it's a great stimulus for the mind.
Israel and women's rights are important issues very much under attack these days, which I intend to continue following.
Ricko: Thanks -- please sang freely.
JustGail: I really doubt that package sizes are the explanation for the Target price discrepancies. He specified that they were the exact same items, and that he didn't "buy more" or "upgrade anything".
I don't know if Laos gets much sex tourism, but in any case Walz's job is to do what's best for Minnesota, not to keep criminals there for the benefit of countries they would otherwise be deported to. Protecting people in Laos from sex offenders is the Laotian government's responsibility.
Ruby: Thanks -- glad you found them so.
Post a Comment
Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning: anything supporting transgender ideology, or negative toward Brexit, or in favor of a military draft or compulsory national service, will be deleted. I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent.
No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.
Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.
<< Home