27 August 2020

My new favorite YouTuber

Anyone can express an opinion -- what really matters is how much evidence and logic you can bring to support it.  That's where "Mic the Vegan" (he pronounces it "Mike") excels.

Mic evidently has a detailed knowledge of nutrition; he describes himself as a science writer and "currently studying Public Health at the Master's level".  In every video he backs up his assertions by citing actual scientific studies -- sometimes a veritable barrage of them -- which shred the nonsense pervasive in pop culture and fad-diet books.  For any argument you've heard against veganism, any MSM hack piece claiming that butter or eggs or whatever are actually healthy, and of course various aspects of the low-carb mania -- the odds are that he's made a video explaining exactly why it's dangerous nonsense.

A few examples.  In this video, a bit less heavy on those studies than most, he debunks the belief that humans are naturally omnivorous, explaining how our anatomy and psychology are consistent with being herbivores:


This one takes on a related idea -- the view that it was a shift to meat-eating (a practice rare to nonexistent among other great ape species) that fueled the startling increase in human brain size over the last two million years:


Finally, he addresses an anti-vegan book which seems typical of the genre:


Mic much less often addresses the moral problems with eating animal products, focusing mostly on human health -- but that's reasonable since it's where his area of expertise is.  His channel is here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Ohhh
Super interesting! YouTube can be a den of iniquity but some content creators are really good. There's so many people selling snake oil without any knowledge of the topic they're talking about! I like the idea of him focusing on the health aspect of nutrition. He sounds informed and brings the receipts.
He's also good looking. Yep, I'm vacuous.

XOXO

27 August, 2020 08:50  
Blogger Lady M said...

Wow - love it. I enjoyed all three of these so think I am going to you tube to subscribe!

27 August, 2020 11:04  
Blogger Ranch Chimp said...

Wow, this shit was crazy listening to it, but educational, that lady sounded and looked pretty freaked out, paranoid, or whatever ... so maybe that shit done something to her brain(?). Some I don't understand, only because I never researched it in that amount of depth. But it also gives you ideas and makes you think, if you choose to do further research. I never even heard that meat made the brain grow, I do know folks that don't eat meat, but one I know eats eggs and milk, so that comes from an animal. I myself eat meat, although not much at all these dayz, much more when I was young, and I also hunted back then, so I ate what we hunted too. I really don't think that many folks eat meat thinking that it's gonna give them special nutrition, strength or whatever, and hardly anyone eats meat, that is not seasoned and cooked certain wayz ... I mean, I ate raw meat a few times as a little kid (mom scolded me, but she told me I would eat spiders too, when I catch them ... I don't remember that though) and the taste was nothing like cooked seasoned/ sauteed/ barbequed, etc. Most of the meat I eat these dayz, is fish or chicken, steak of lean cuts ... but much less than years back. I only knew about the cholesterol factor, when my doctor told me close to a decade ago, so looked into that. Meat is also such a huge business too ... it's like mega business ... from all the barbeques, to steak houses, burger joints and fast foods, fillers, etc, etc. It's one of those things, that if Congress tried to cut the industry for health reasons, the lobbyists would start a war, heh, heh, heh, heh, heh {:-) ... (probably the pharmaceutical industry too, because they couldn't sell all the drugs to help high cholesteral, or whatever else ... keeping folks sick is big business in America). Got to look out for ourselves, cause these industries don't care about shit, besides making a buck {:-) But no ... I've known folks that don't eat meat, and they were fine ... I mean, they didn't get sick from it or anything. Thanks for the vidz

27 August, 2020 15:16  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Sixpence: Yes, there's plenty of good stuff on YouTube. It does take some digging to find it, though. And, nothing wrong with being vacuous.:-)

Lady M: Glad you found them interesting -- I think he's very informative.

Ranch: Most people who eat meat in our culture hardly think about it or consider it something they need to justify, because it's simply looked upon as normal. That's the attitude Mic and people like him are trying to wake people up from.

Meat is certainly a huge business with a lot of money at stake. They lobby the government and, like the tobacco industry decades ago, they fund biased research trying to hide the health problems their product produces. Changing popular attitudes about meat is going to be a huge job. But we did accomplish it with cigarettes.

27 August, 2020 15:38  
Blogger Mike said...

The meat industry is aggressively protective. Just ask Oprah.

28 August, 2020 10:58  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Well, they have plenty to hide.

28 August, 2020 12:05  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

dang..I have days where I think ..I could be a vegetarian..and then I smell bacon frying and I'm done.

30 August, 2020 10:36  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I honestly think the smell of bacon frying might actually make me vomit now.

30 August, 2020 14:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home