List of movie review posts
Agora (2010): The story of Hypatia, the woman whose life and death came to symbolize the fall of Classical civilization.
Carol (2015): Romance in a dark time, but with a happy ending, for a change.
District 9 (2009): The originality of this South African science-fiction film puts Hollywood's endless sequels and rehashes to shame.
Frozen (2013): The colossal pop-culture phenomenon carries a subtle but powerful message of self-liberation. On claims of a hidden pro-gay agenda in the song "Let It Go", see here.
Frozen 2 (2019): An beautiful and worthy follow-up with many points of interest, even if it leaves the is-Elsa-gay question ambiguous.
Ghost in the Shell (2017): A visually-stunning and philosophically intelligent film dealing with issues we'll actually face in the not-too-distant future.
Lincoln (2012): A superb exploration of the messy moral ambiguities of real-life politics.
Prometheus (2012): The Alien prequel clutters up its SF with too many religious themes (I'm a lot less impressed with the movie now than I was when I wrote this).
V for Vendetta (2005): A visually-brilliant, morally ambiguous fantasy of rebellion against fascism in a future Britain.
The Wicker Man (1973): Two views of paganism, both thought-provoking, and good music too.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:
1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service
I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.
No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.
Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.
From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.
<< Home