16 April 2010

Quote for the day

"There's a cliche that I hear all the time, and that I despise because it is so trite — organizing atheists is like herding cats. I die a little inside every time I hear it because it is so old, but also because it is inaccurate. Everyone seems to picture masses of willful domest- ic cats wanting to scurry off to play with yarn or chase down mice; it's just not right. Organizing atheists is like herding lions, or at least ideally it should be. What we want is a community of fiercely independent, roaring, wrestling, arguing, fighting freethinkers; cross them, and you will get rhetorically mauled, and our battles are not about polite batting about with little kitty paws at issues, but should involve claws and fangs and uncompromising forceful- ness. Everyone who is complaining that the harshness of the debate degrades the discourse, get stuffed; I think the call to weaken the vigor of the disagreement is the real degradation here."

3 Comments:

Blogger DILLIGAF said...

Being a devout athiest I can cat-egorically confirm I am a cat. I love chasing mice! Especially those nice white chocolate ones...mmmmmmm

As the great God Bowie once announced to the world....

"God is an American"

16 April, 2010 14:58  
Blogger Holte Ender said...

Make fun of the bastards I say.

16 April, 2010 19:52  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

4D: Being a "catheist" works over there -- you're fortunate to lack (except for the Anjem Choudary brand of Muslim) the kind of dangerously fervent religio-nutters we have in the US.

As the great God Bowie once announced to the world...."God is an American"

So you're saying Bowie is an American?:-)

HE: I'm all for that! Ridicule is probably the most effective tactic of all.

16 April, 2010 21:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home