05 November 2023

A couple of personal notes

Due to adverse financial circumstances, I need to return to office work, at least now-and-then on a part-time basis.  This will mean some delay in approving comments, since obviously I can't be doing internet stuff while I'm at a job.  Starting this coming week, if you leave a comment and it doesn't appear until the evening, that's why.  This should not affect posts much, since I mostly do them in the early morning anyway, but it may turn out that I don't have the energy to write as much.  I'm 63 and was supposed to be retired now.

o o o o o

For most of the history of this blog, I rejected very few comments in moderation.  Lately I've found that I have to do it more often.  This post last week was something of a turning point -- I rejected probably more comments than I allowed, due to various forms of fight-picking and going off at length on irrelevant tangents.  I write the blog, especially posts like that one, in hopes of catching the attention of people with a similar world-view and interests.  Dealing with arguments, and with what frankly seems like mere bickering for the sake of being contrary, is a weary chore, especially when it comes from individuals who never comment except when they want to nit-pick about something.  You wouldn't continue to engage with a person who made a frequent habit of picking fights with you about every harmless thing you said that they disagreed with, and could never simply let anything slide.  It would be exhausting.  I have enough mental issues going on without dealing with that.  Thank you for your understanding.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ami said...

I hope your job doesn't add too much stress to your life.. sorry for the necessity, though.

05 November, 2023 02:12  
Anonymous Johnny Profane said...

Sending my strongest freind-ness your way. If I can do anything to help... Never hesitate. Except the money thing. I really fall down there.

05 November, 2023 02:24  
Blogger Leanna said...

I'm so sorry you have to go back to work even part-time. Please, I hope you don't take this comment wrong, It's not an "I told you so" kind of comment. It's not easy retiring these days. It used to be when you retired you had SS and some form of a monthly pension check. Pensions have been fazed out by most companies. David and I retired when we hit 67 and there was no pension. The money from SS would have barely gotten us through so we made a plan. I found out the company he worked for had fazed out their pension plans 10 years before we got married. So, I said we have to offset the future or else we'll be working into our graves. We paid off the car and truck, I saved extra money for yearly property taxes and the house was paid off while I was working. He concentrated on the food, utilities, and paying down our credit cards. We also checked out insurance companies that the hospitals and doctors in our area would take without a problem. We talked to them about who they liked dealing with and then we widdled that down by the monthly cost to our SS checks to have that insurance. We chose Humana and we chose really well. We were lucky, we paid everything off within 5 years. We aren't hurting today like most people because we had a plan 20 years ago when we got married. Now we are 70 and 69 years old and doing okay but living on a tight budget. People in their 30s and 40s should stop and think about what will happen when they retire but they don't and it's a shame. They don't think about their future. All in all, I wish I could help you out monetarily but that is impossible. I can only offer you a hugh hug and hope you have an easier time soon.

05 November, 2023 11:18  
Blogger SickoRicko said...

Much good luck to you.

05 November, 2023 16:07  
Blogger dellgirl said...

I wish you all the best and I hope everything goes well with you returning to work. Sending good vibes your way.

05 November, 2023 17:58  
Blogger Bohemian said...

Some people live for Drama and being a Headache, they are never worth engaging with, mostly I could care less what they think and what low information they assume makes them appear informed. I'm sorry you are having to exit Retirement, I've had to do the same and adjust what I thought would be my Golden Years and abandon the Financial Peace I'd worked so hard to manifest and then have wrecked by circumstances beyond our control. I do fondly recall having Two Paid Off Properties, a Paid Off Vehicle that was a very nice one, no Debts... but, Life happens and even the most carefully made Plans can be altered to where you just have to adapt, improvise and sometimes even start over from scratch. It is tiring, especially when we have ,ore time behind us than we have in front of us. A big Hug and wish you Well as you adjust to what is necessary for Right Now.

06 November, 2023 08:36  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Ami: Thanks. So far it's not adding too much stress, but I've only been there one day. It already seems to be making my insomnia worse.

Johnny: Thank you for the thought.

Leanna: I thought I was reasonably well prepared, but things have a way of not working out the way you expect, unfortunately.

Ricko & Dellgirl: Thank you, I appreciate the thought.

Bohemian: The trolls and fight-pickers do seem to live for "drama and being a headache", and I try to avoid engaging with them, but it's difficult sometimes even when I know it's bad for me.

I don't owe any money on my car, but eventually an old one starts racking up a lot of expensive repairs. I can't afford a new one and wouldn't want one anyway -- the new ones are full of spyware and other expensive electronic crap I don't even want.

07 November, 2023 00:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home