19 June 2022

Video of the day -- toddler-tantrum culture


How did Americans (well, some of us) become so whiny and weak and hypersensitive?  How did this idea get started that nothing you find offensive is allowed to exist in the universe, and that if you do find something offensive, somebody should remove it from existence and punish the offender?  How the hell does anybody imagine that that's reality?

I read a lot of stuff on the internet, and as I've emphasized in the past, that includes blogs and other kinds of sites that disagree with my own viewpoint, because there's no other way to get a comprehensive view of reality and what a range of people are really thinking.  I read left-wing sites, right-wing sites, religious sites, pro-transgender sites, radical-feminist sites, and what have you.  Every day I see dozens and dozens of things that offend me.  I don't stop every time this happens and leave a comment whining about feeling offended at what a blogger said, or go crying to the platform trying to get them canceled and taken down.  Because that's not grown-up behavior.  An adult recognizes and expects that there are a lot of different kinds of people and viewpoints in the world and that some people believe, and say, things I don't like.  A blog, in particular, is a soapbox for one person, not a forum for everybody in the world to bicker and argue because they don't like what that person said on his or her own blog.  Same for (as in the video) Twitter or other personal accounts.  If something really bothers me I just move on and go read something else.

Jesus fucking Christ, what is happening to people?

8 Comments:

Blogger Lady M said...

I think unfortunately it is the culture of the internet. Everyone has the facebook balls. Could you imagine doing that in real life? Confronting everyone you see who is doing something you don't agree with? Or doing stuff you know people disagree with just to get attention. Our lives would be nothing but one huge fight. But online so many of us are willing to pick a fight and let it all hang out. Is it the anonymity? I don't know but it has changed our society.

19 June, 2022 12:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

19 June, 2022 19:05  
Blogger Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

20 June, 2022 00:51  
Blogger Sixpence Notthewiser said...

Oh, but reading something you disagree with is essential, especially online.
And I don't think it's delusion, that calling people on their bullshit. People can say anything they want. There's nobody stopping them. What they cannot stop is criticism.


XOXO

20 June, 2022 02:13  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Lady M: Being online probably makes it worse. Even online, though, making such a fuss about everything they disagree with would be exhausting. I think a lot of these people are so diligent about avoiding sites or environments that aren't part of their own bubble, that they don't realize how many people with "bad" opinions exist out there.

Unfortunately anonymity is a necessity. Most people couldn't speak freely if they had to worry about some censorious busybody finding out where they live or work and harassing them for something they said.

Anon, Rajani: Thanks.

Sixpence: Criticism is fine. I've always said that the proper response to speech you don't like is more speech (as opposed to trying to shut them up). Criticism is what Maher is doing and what I'm doing here. It's when somebody tries to get someone else punished or fired for saying something they didn't like that it becomes assholing. And frankly, part of being a grown-up is being able to just ignore things in a lot of cases. If I made a fuss about everything I see on the internet that offends me, I'd be spending 240 hours a day doing that. Accepting that some people disagree with you is just part of dealing with reality.

20 June, 2022 02:34  
Blogger Richard said...

Well, i like your soapbox. Everyonce in a while i can't refrain from an Amen, or a That's Crazy Talk. For the most part,what i read here is ok with me.

20 June, 2022 17:29  
Blogger SickoRicko said...

You said it!

20 June, 2022 21:21  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Richard: Thank you!

Ricko: And I intend to keep saying it.....

21 June, 2022 00:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home