Videos of the day -- the sincerest form of flattery
These videos are, believe it or not, completely American; they're ads for the Los Angeles metro system, to discourage rude behavior by riders. Yet the imitation of Japanese pop-culture aesthetic is virtually perfect, and there's even some Japanese language used. It's an interesting reversal considering how long other countries (including Japan itself) have imitated American mass-culture style and tossed in English words because those things seem "cool". More info on the ad campaign here; found via Mock Paper Scissors.

4 Comments:
Heh! I guess the saying "The circle is now complete" comes to mind (also with the BLADE RUNNER 2049 anime prequel BLADE RUNNER: BLACKOUT 2022).
It's part of a growing trend, of course -- spending as much time on DeviantArt and Tumblr as I do, the extent of Japanese influence on artists and fans all over the world is impossible to miss. This is the first time I've seen a PSA campaign like this, though.
My first thought wasn't how pitch perfect these PSAs are, it was "hey, look at the subway I helped build!" I was paid to be an inspector for paleontological and archeological resources in the first leg of the subway, a provision of the federal money used for the subject. I went down in all of the station excavations between Union Station and MacArthur Park for two years ending in August 1989. That written, those are really good ads and I can say that as a former bus rider in Los Angeles, the people need this advice.
BTW, any complaints of cultural appropriation yet?
Congratulations on having built something that has lasted, and I can well believe that the PSAs are needed! As for cultural appropriation, that seems to be just an American thing as best I can tell. The Japanese never seem to complain about the growing global influence of their pop culture -- any more than Americans are bothered by the worldwide spread of American mass culture.
Post a Comment
Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:
1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service
I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.
No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.
Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.
From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.
<< Home