26 March 2008

If you think Wal-Mart is unfairly maligned.....

.....read this story of its treatment of the brain-damaged mother of a fallen soldier. Found via Chell's Roost.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

I'm going to show this to my daughter who loves the convenience of shopping at Walmart.

One thing I can say positive about Walmart is they allow transients to frequent their property. In a town nearby some friends of mine (another human rights group) were doing a homeless count. They had invited the Counties homeless community to a local park to a picnic so they could connect with them & do their count, distribute Blankets, & other things. They had gotten a permit from the health Department to cook Hot dogs for all these people. First the health Department showed up & insisted every hot dog be a certain temperature requiring every hot dog to have a thermometer thrust into it. Effectively screwing up the picnic, Then the Police arrived at the park & started harassing people, one woman who lived in her car with her child was illegally parked... well to make a long story short her belongings were dumped in the parking lot & her home was towed away. My friends were able to move everyone to the parking lot of the local Walmart & try to resume what they had started. The Police followed them naturally & told them they had to leave. But, apparently This Walmart actually has a policy of safe haven for the homeless. (I'm trying to find conformation of this policy on the net but can't)Perhaps this doesn't cover a multitude of sins, but it's something.

26 March, 2008 22:49  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

I'd say Mall-Wart is good at high-visibility PR gimmicks that don't cost them any real money. When it comes to a chance of ripping off a few hundred thousand bucks from a pathetic bereaved mother, on the other hand, PR is evidently a lesser issue.

27 March, 2008 04:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link, and a hug for linking the article. I want everyone to see this and to further research Wal-Mart's special way of doing business.

Here is a site, Wal-Mart Watch, where people can donate towards Debbie Shank's care. Hope it's OK to link here.

27 March, 2008 21:31  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

By all means, yes. I hope the link helps her.

27 March, 2008 21:55  

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home