21 October 2018

Link round-up for 21 October 2018

Various interesting stuff I ran across on the net over the last week.

o o o o o

Dance on the rabbit.

Is it good for squirrels?

Dumb person is dumb (found via Plowing through Life).

Here's how to rescue a cat stuck in a tree, Russian style.

Some people just keep the old car going as long as they can instead of getting a new one.

Where did they all go?

How would wingnuts react to buckets of snakes being dumped on people?

Calvin is getting an early start on Halloween.  Some people are decorating their horses.

If ghosts exist, you might as well shag them.

"We'll see."

Check out these animal X-rays (found via Miss Cellania).

People do change.

What movies scared you when you were young?  (I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned Alien.)

She's ruining an innocent man's life (found via Scottie).

The alt-right is still throwing amusing tantrums about Taylor Swift.

Might it be possible to suppress Republican voter turnout?

Believe them (found via Juanita Jean).

A dating app for Trump supporters leaked its entire user database the day it went live (I wonder if it will reveal a severe shortage of women members).

Here are some things you don't need to be afraid of for Halloween.

This family has issues.

Who got a tax cut?

Priorities, priorities.

Trumpanzees became Trumpanzees due to a kind of future shock and a deep sense of hierarchy.

An Evangelical upbringing ruined this woman's sex life (found via Mike the Mad Biologist).

Most websites don't honor the "do not track" button.

The enemy wants an authoritarian state modeled on their authoritarian churches.

Flight attendants reveal some secrets (it's gross).

The Cherokee Nation responds to Warren's DNA test.

Republicans don't want you to know the truth about the deficit.

Some women are still harassed by bigots for having interracial relationships (found via Miss Cellania).

Lies are an integral part of fascism and, today, of Republicanism.

Trump's immigration agenda could drive this industry out of the US.

The man of God says murder is no biggie when there's money at stake.

The Republicans are alone in the world in their denial of global warming.

Friends and relatives react with fury to an utterly pointless killing.

This person exists, and there are others like him.

Here are some reactions to the wingnut campaign of slime against Khashoggi.

"Dr." Don Boys explains the Biblical view of rape (be aware, this is ugly).

What is it about Republicans and killing things?

Maybe we can get Kavanaugh interested in global warming.

The European Space Agency is sending a probe to Mercury.

Croatia is home to a wealth of Neanderthal relics.

Gene editing has arrived.  What will we do with it?

Red dwarf stars are prone to "superflares", a bad sign for life or habitability on any planets they have.

Calvin celebrates a win for freedom in Canada.

#%$@!$%!  What century is this???

A bystander thwarts a racist attack in Germany.

Jerry Coyne posts photos of Zagreb.

Kaveh Mousavi has questions and answers on Iran.

The Saudis just do screw things up occasionally (found via Progressive Eruptions).

In the event of a real US-Saudi conflict, here's what each side could do.

Khashoggi was killed because journalists matter.

A bone saw?  My God! (found via Scottie)

Nobody's buying the Saudi cover story.

Trump does words, the Saudis do actions (found via Juanita Jean).

Trump's trade war isn't hurting China very much (found via Mike the Mad Biologist).

Arusha girls' school imposes mandatory pregnancy tests and expels girls who test positive (found via Scottie).

Activists in Cameroon fight against traditional mutilation of girls.

All the gay candidates for Congress this year are Democrats.

I'm glad this guy is my Senator.

The wingnuts are so scared they're pulling this kind of bullshit in Kansas (found via Tengrain on Twitter).

"It doesn't matter.  We won."  Let's make sure they can't say that this November 7th.

Some Republicans are almost running as Democrats.  But even non-Trumpanzee Republicans can't be trusted.

The fundies are out to thwart the blue wave.

There's good news and bad news.

These cartoons are right on target.

Shower Cap reviews the week.

For millions of voters, health care is the top issue.

How much does the Democrats' huge fundraising advantage really mean?

The internet has made political activism easier than ever (found via Fair and Unbalanced).

When Democrats regain power, they must undo the Republicans' illegitimate seizure of the Supreme Court.

[640 days down, 822 days to go until the inauguration of a real President!]

11 Comments:

Anonymous PM Carpenter said...

I appreciate the link to my piece on the Big Lie, Infidel. You do good work here. Keep it up. (But no Brexit-bashing? Even though it's nigh impossible to write favorably on Britain's exit from sanity?) —PM Carpenter

21 October, 2018 07:52  
Blogger Debra She Who Seeks said...

I gotta say, that rabbit one is kinda creepy. Also, remind me never to ask for a Russian soldier's help to get a cat out of a tree. And yes, Republicans, voting makes you gay, LOL!

21 October, 2018 07:53  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

PM: Thanks, I intend to.

About Brexit, see the link. The ignorance and stupidity of (most of) the liberal blogosphere on this subject already once contributed to putting me off of blogging at all for several weeks, and I don't wish to repeat the experience. Over the last couple of months I've gotten an increasing number of anti-Semitic comments, and rejected almost all of them in comment moderation, including some that were quite long and obviously intended to draw me into some interminable back-and-forth bickering session. That's why I added the "fair warning" disclaimer -- it seems only fair to pre-warn commenters that I'm not going to put up with that, on anti-Semitism and on certain other subjects.

Debra: I can't imagine what prompted someone to create that rabbit animation. It's something I would never have thought of, but I guess it takes all kinds of imaginations.

I wonder if that woman ever got her cat back. After an experience like that, it probably didn't stop running until it was halfway to China.

21 October, 2018 09:12  
Blogger Mary Kirkland said...

Squirrels carrying guns. Now I've seen everything.
Animal x-rays are quite cool.
I agree, Alien was a scary movie for kids. For me it was the original War of the Worlds.

21 October, 2018 10:02  
Blogger Tommykey said...

I saw Alien in theater when I was only ten. For some reason I laughed at the face hugger jump and the chestburster scenes.

21 October, 2018 12:08  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Mary: Hey, if guns are outlawed for squirrels, only outlaw squirrels will have guns.

There's something fascinating about X-rays, even though the skeletons are about what you'd expect, except maybe the beaver's tail.

Tommy: You might want to give The Texas Chainsaw Massacre a try. Nonstop hilarity.:-)

21 October, 2018 14:45  
Blogger Adam said...

A gay republican is someone I cannot understand.

21 October, 2018 16:53  
Anonymous Howie said...

For sheer terror, nothing could compare to the 1986 World Series Highlight Video.

21 October, 2018 22:46  
Blogger Martha said...

I should watch Alien again. I don't remember how I felt about it. The movies that freak me out the most are the psychological thrillers. They get into your head and haunt you for days!

Your posts with an assortment of links are always fun to go through!

22 October, 2018 18:26  
Anonymous Marc McKenzie said...

My true story about ALIEN: I saw it as a kid when it premiered on TV back in the early 1980s--and it scared the s#@t out of me. Later, when I went to bed, I woke up and saw a large, black shape looming over me...and nearly screamed because I thought it was the Alien.

Turns out it was my bookcase.

Some years later, I went to Switzerland as part of a high school Europe trip and saw a table and chair set that H.R. Giger had designed. It was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen in my life--but nothing compared to the Alien suit they had on display in the next room!

23 October, 2018 14:20  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Adam: Well, there aren't many now, so I guess it's sinking in.

Howie: Possibly so -- haven't seen that one.

Debra: Alien had a lot of psychological overtones -- it played on things that evoke fear and revulsion at a visceral level. That's why it's remembered after forty years while hundreds of other scary movies are forgotten.

Marc: I've seen pictures of some of that Giger furniture. Amazing stuff. He could have made a bookcase that would have been worthy of a scream.

24 October, 2018 04:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home