31 December 2014

A vague musing at year-end

One of the most engaging things about the internet is the incredible variety of people one encounters in odd corners of it.  Humans are so fascinatingly different in their interests and imaginings and talents.  And with the internet (and a certain amount of chutzpah) everyone can put themselves out there, each one adding more color and animation to the world.

On the other hand, I can't shake the feeling that some of my favorite internet people would be bewildered, or even appalled, by each other.

But ever-increasing diversity is the inexorable reality of the modern world, and the stance that only one way of life and one channel of desire can be legitimate is a relic of the dying era of religious and tribal conformity.

The real enemy is the mind-set that instinctively recoils from all that is not like itself.

I'm thankful for the existence of all of you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ahab said...

And we're thankful for you. Happy New Year, Infidel.

31 December, 2014 21:56  
Blogger Green Eagle said...

In particular, I want to say that I know what it is like to set yourself a personal task of recording certain kinds of posts online on a regular basis. It seems easy, but if you are trying to keep the quality up, it can be a difficult task. Thanks for the effort that you put into your link roundup. It is always full of things worth reading, and it's one of the highlights of my internet week.

01 January, 2015 00:04  
Blogger Woody said...

Thanks Infidel, you're a good influence. Happy New Year.

All the best,
Woody

01 January, 2015 01:25  
Blogger Shaw Kenawe said...

My Sundays would not be as interesting without your link round-ups.

Plus, your insights into Middle East issues are enlightening.

All the best to you in 2015.

01 January, 2015 11:30  
Blogger Lawrence said...

I've seen you at Frank's place. Didn't know you had your own blog. I'll be checking in to see what you have to say. Happy New Year.

01 January, 2015 20:21  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Thanks everyone!

02 January, 2015 02:21  
Blogger Murr Brewster said...

I'm thankful for you also. When my stars get fuzzed over I check up on you to re-orient.

04 January, 2015 00:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home