03 June 2012

Cartoons again, mightier than the sword

Germany's new anti-Islam political party, Pro-NRW, had a problem -- how to get attention for itself in an already-crowded political arena?  They hit on an idea which, given their focus, was as arresting as it was obvious: a cartoon contest.  It worked.  Pro-NRW got plenty of entries, and plenty of media attention.  Much of the latter consisted of the usual pearl-clutching and name-calling ("far right!") that follows whenever anyone dares twist the tail of the Religion of Perpetual Outrage, but hell, all publicity is good publicity.

Of course, the hard-line Islamists who make up a small but vocal minority of Germany's Muslim population reacted the way mouth-foaming religious thugs are wont to do, and attempted violent attacks on Pro-NRW rallies where the cartoons were on display.  Several police officers who were in the mobs' way have been injured.

Which, of course, highlights Pro-NRW's point -- Islam, at least of the true-believing sort, is violent, barbaric, hostile to free expression, and ill-suited to fit in with a modern pluralistic free society.

[My favorite cartoon from the contest is above.  The banner reads "No mosque."  The dynamite-wielding Islamist is saying, "Pardon, have you got a light?"  The Bible-clutching priest is replying, "Naturally, my son!"  You can see more of the cartoons here, though I don't endorse the site.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please be on-topic and read the comments policy. Spam, trolls, and fight-pickers will be deleted. If you don't have a Blogspot account and aren't sure how to comment, please see here. Fair warning -- I reject all comments containing any of the following:

1. Support for transgenderism
2. Negativity about Brexit
3. Support for a military draft or compulsory national service

I am not obligated to provide a platform for views I find morally abhorrent. And obviously I'm going to delete anything which is just quoting what an "AI" said. I want to hear from you, not from the always-wrong hallucination machine.

No comments advocating violence against any specific identifiable individual, even jokingly.

Please be considerate -- no political or politics-tinged comments on non-political posts, and no performative cynicism. Finally, please remember that this is a personal blog whose main purpose is to encourage contact from people with similar interests and world-views to mine. I really don't much care for arguing and debating; if arguing and debating is what you want, there are plenty of other places on the internet which welcome that.

From now until the finalization of the election results, no comments claiming the Republicans (or Democrats) will or can "steal" the election. It's pointless to engage with such stuff, and it promotes defeatism, which makes people less likely to vote or otherwise be politically active.

<< Home