29 March 2007

Time for a new direction

A few miles west of here, at this very moment as I type this, a certain bus is trundling toward downtown Portland. My guess would be that, on board, it's a pretty typical morning ride. Doubtless some individual who really should have stayed home is coughing and sneezing on hapless fellow commuters; a couple of celltards are in full babble; and the driver is trying to decide whether the profanity being exchanged by the two wasted-junkie-looking guys sitting up front is obnoxious enough that he ought to tell them to cut it out. The very picture of normality.

I "should" be on that bus too, as I have been almost every weekday morning for several years, but I'm not. I've quit the job I've been working at for four and a half years. I gave them three weeks' notice on March 7th, and yesterday was my last day. It wouldn't be appropriate to go into reasons here; suffice to say that while the people I worked with there were great and I will miss them (and who's to say one can't stay friends with ex-coworkers, anyway?), I will miss very little else about it.

Due to certain plans, I can't look for a new permanent job right away, so I'll need to rely on temp work for a while. It should work out; I've done it before. When one has no dependents, one is free to make decisions that might strike others as a bit risky. I gave this step a great deal of thought before taking it. It was the right thing to do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG- Infidel, that sounds exciting! A brand new start, hopefully with everything falling into place exactly as you like. I wish you the life you seek and a smooth road to it.

29 March, 2007 10:48  
Blogger Infidel753 said...

Much thanks for the kind words. I'm sure there will be ups and downs, but I'm looking forward to seeing what this new course has to offer.

29 March, 2007 11:43  
Blogger mendip said...

Wishing you the best of luck on what I'm sure was a tough decision.

29 March, 2007 14:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home